- advertisement -

Nephew with Diabetes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by superbongos, Nov 11, 2005.

1. superbongos

superbongos New Member

Hey guys-

I found out a few weeks ago that my 8 year old nephew is diabetic. I'm not sure the details about it though. His parents and I don't really talk too often, but I still send birthday and Christmas gifts to my nephews and nieces. I've been looking around the internet trying to find something to give him to help him out with the diabetes and coping. I was thinking about something like this: http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/index.mvc?page=F5/PROD/kidscorner/NEOPID. It looks like it might be something cool for him for when he's at school and out playing. Do you think it's a good idea, or would it just be a lame gift?

Thanks so much for you help. I'm at somewhat of a loss. I've never had experience with something like this.
    Tom.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

First, it's GREAT you are so loving and caring and recognize that a gift is in order after being diagnosed with a lifelong chronic illness. I think he'd rather have a gift that has nothing to do with diabetes. That said, those wristbands are cute and it's ok to ask him if he wants one in addition to the other gift. :)

3. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Hi, I agree with Ellen, don't forgo the "just kid stuff" birthday gift, but also I did see that they have cool "skins" you can get for his BG meter. If you can ask the family which meter he owns, you could order one of the software programs for that meter and have him play with designing one of the template for his meter. It will make it more cool and customized just for him. My son in 10 and I just know he would want something like that. He already mentioned it to me once at a JDRF Halloween carnival when he saw one on display! I saw that they had these software packages on the site that you mentioned! Good luck and the most important thing is that you are giving the gift from your heart! : )