- advertisement -

NeoStem - will be reporting phase 1 study in adults with recent onset T1D, at ADA

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ellen, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

[h=1](Joshua Levy, will you be reporting from ADA?)

Taking Steps Toward Prevention of Type 1 Diabetes
    [/h]Posted on Monday, June 2nd, 2014 at 8:00 am

I will never forget Cara.
    Some patients change you as a physician and Cara (not her real name) definitely changed me. As a cardiologist most of my patients are middle aged and older. When I met Cara she was in her twenties and had just had her first heart attack. Her mistake? Having type 1 diabetes. Getting to know Cara over the coming years and seeing up close the ravages of this disease on a lovely, vibrant young woman made its mark on me. At the time I was working on developing new treatments for people like Cara (most of whom were decades older) who already had advanced heart disease. Doing something to prevent or improve the cause of Cara’s condition, the destruction of her pancreas by her own immune system (and with it her ability to manufacture insulin), was something I fantasized about, but the science just wasn’t there at the time.
    Fast forward to 2014 and fantasy is starting to co-mingle with reality.
    A group of investigators in Gdansk Poland led by Piotr Trzonkowski just published twelve month follow up data from their study of autologous expanded T regulatory cell therapy (Tregs) for children with recently diagnosed type 1 diabetes. What Dr. Trzonkowski and his colleagues show is that giving patients a “booster dose” of their own Tregs seemed to result in protection of the pancreas and its ability to produce insulin. In fact, two of the ten children enrolled in the study were able to stop insulin use altogether, and overall insulin use was much lower among the treated patients than a matched set of historical control subjects. That suggests that the pancreas was protected from destruction. These findings indicate the possibility that Treg therapy could help preserve pancreatic function in the initial stages of type 1 diabetes, a benefit that could have lifelong impact in terms of reducing complications of diabetes such as kidney failure, heart and vascular disease and blindness.
    At NeoStem we are very interested in these data since we are planning a study of autologous Treg therapy in recent onset type 1 diabetes, scheduled to begin later this year. NeoStem has licensed a robust patent portfolio for the use of Tregs to treat autoimmune conditions such as type 1 diabetes. Our Athelos subsidiary, through which we own this technology platform, is partly owned by Becton Dickinson. We have also licensed technology developed by Dr. Bluestone’s laboratory at UCSF. This month at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association, Dr. Steve Gitelman, Chief of Pediatric Endocrinology at UCSF, is to present the results of a Phase 1 study in adults with recent onset type 1 diabetes conducted by Drs. Gitelman and Bluestone and Dr. Kevan Herold of Yale using the Treg technology licensed by NeoStem. Stay tuned as this new chapter in the treatment of diabetes begins to unfold.
    Read other blog posts by Dr. Douglas Losordo:
    - See more at: http://www.thechairmansblog.com/neo...vention-type-1-diabetes/#sthash.KRDSL0zR.dpuf

2. millyyates

millyyates Approved members

3. millyyates

millyyates Approved members