advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needs Ideas for Term Paper on Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mom2Deacon, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Hi everyone. I have a term paper for my composition class and I am trying to do the paper on diabetes. It needs to be more specific than that though. It needs to involve an issue with diabetes. For example, stem cell research for diabetes, obesity and type 2 diabetes, etc.. I am leaning toward trying to educate about the differences between the two types and the possible rise in diabetes diagnoses. I am welcome to any ideas any of you has.

--Sara

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

how long does this paper have to be?

3. Mom2Deacon

it is to be an argumentative research paper of 9-12 pages. I think she wants it close to 12 than the 9. Writing a 12 page paper is not new to me, so I am not concerned about the length.

--Sara

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I was just wondering how long it had to be because if it were 5 pages it sure would be hard to fit all that diabetes information in! But 9-12 pages, good length, and plenty of info.. are you suppose to argue BOTH sides of an issue, or just one? (I haven't done a research paper in 15years:eek:) I think doing something with the different types is good idea.. but not sure how to turn that into an argumentative paper...

5. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

how about a paper about pumping vs. mdi ???

6. Mom2Deacon

That is an interesting one to do.

--Sara

7. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

You could even use CWD members experiences/opinions on the matter as part of your research (did it improve a1cs? etc etc)

8. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

How about the fight to get proper diabetes care in the schools? A lot of us could help you with that.

9. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

There was a parent in my last writing class that did his term paper on the myths of diabetes.

I tend to get overly emotional when writing about D, so I have left D out of the subjects I have chose from for my term papers. Good luck! I bet you do better than I could!

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Are we ready for xenotransplantation of encapsulated porcine islet cells in human clinical trials to restore euglycemia in patients with type 1 diabetes?

See the March/April 2008 issue of the journal Xenotransplantation Wiley InterScience :: JOURNALS :: Xenotransplantation

Here is a video interview with Dr. Bob Elliott: http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/National/tabid/309/articleID/76719/cat/64/Default.aspx#video

Here is a video of Minister Cunliffe: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_flash_skin/2221713

p.s. I am particularly supportive of the research and can't wait to see the results of the LCT trials in NZ.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  11. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Make the case for giving T1D its own name separate from T2D.

12. linda

linda Approved members

I think education on the differences is a good one. Drew did a science project on it and it became a popular draw!! Many elder type 2 parents and granparents came up and actually learned from it, we had pump paraphanalia and syringe with no needle, ordered pump samples(companies make "demos")
    anyway, there is much to educate! Good luck!

Here is one: Taking a child home from the hospital after dxd, the before training and after care...having to learn to do everything over again....

13. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Will writing about the differences between the 2 types really be considered argumentative? What is the argument? I think going with a subject calling for better cooperation from schools, or pumping vs. MDI, or research would give you better subject matter for the type of paper you have been assigned.

ETA: how about calling for coverage of Continuous Glucose Monitoring by insurance companies. There is a ton of info available about that issue and it is certainly a very heated subject

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  14. Mom2Deacon

There is a way of making the two different types into an argumentative essay and that would be to bring in the many articles that claim that obesity leads to diabetes but do not disclose which type.

--Sara

15. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I would say it's true in the popular press the articles may not distinguish, but in the academic/ peer reviewed literature the distinction is made.

16. Mom2Deacon

What about a paper on the importance of managing the diabetes well? Not only for oneself but for the benefit of others. I am seeing many posts here lately about those who do not take care of themselves and the repercussions to their family members. I thought maybe there can be argument made from that.

--Sara

17. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Be sure to include the ambivalence a person with diabetes faces with respect to their care. They know they would feel better if they took better care...but it's a PIA and they become unmotivated because it's relentless....how do they find the balance? Dr. Polonsky's book Diabetes Burnout may give you some suggestions to address this.

18. Mom2Deacon

Thank you for that suggestion.

--Sara

19. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

If you haven't picked out a topic yet how about how a child's education is affected by the blood sugar being out of range.