- advertisement -

needle phobia-Advice please!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emc71, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Is your son on lantus? Lantus really burned Abbey and that nightly injection was difficult for both of us. If lantus is painful, you can ask to be switched to levemir. You have received so much good information. I think it might be best to take over the injections for now. For us, right after diagnosis, we got a jar and put a dime in it for every bg and injection. Abbey chose what she wanted to do with the money (it added up quickly) and then after a month or so, she said she didn't the dimes any more. Maybe you could ask your son what could help him adjust to his new (and not negotiable) routine.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I now this sounds weird, but both Hawkeygirl and Sarah Maddies Mom are right. This trick actually 'tricks' the nerves into focusing on something else. I don't think it is a placebo - it focuses the nerves on reacting to something other then the shot puncturing the skin.

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Lantus was also painful for my son at first. A nice CDE suggested only giving Lantus in the butt...that it would be less painful there. From there on out, we did...switching cheeks each night:p, and there were no more painful Lantus shots!

You are still in the early days...but when you and your son are ready to consider a pump...it was a real game-changer for us. Instead of 4 or more injections a day, we do a pump site change every third day. Instead of figuring out dosages...the pump does the calculations (although I do at times override what the pump suggests...that comes with time and experience). There are many other advantages...it is something to keep in mind for the future.

I hope things continue to improve at injection time. You are doing a great job!:):) I can tell by your concern and interest in learning that you will be a wonderful "D" mom...you're both going to be fine!!:cwds:

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

If the frozen spoon trick doesn't work, you can try Emla cream. It takes 20 minutes to work, but DD did not even feel blood draws with that stuff. It is normal for your son to resist like this. He did not resist at the beginning and he seems to be having a "delayed" resistance now.

5. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

You have been given lots of great advice already. If I were you I would take over the management of his diabetes and let him just be a kid. It is okay if he cries, etc, but he does have to be still for the injections. I can't say I've been thru this as my daughter was older and more independent. The only time she let me do injections was when she didn't feel well. But at her age at the time it was appropriate. Good luck~