- advertisement -

Needle/infusion set length?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Jan 12, 2020.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My hubby and I were talking with our almost 18 year old son about ways to get his a1c down. The idea of longer needles/infusion sets came up. He currently used 6mm sets, and syringes are similar. Would switching to a longer needle help with better absorption? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank you!

2. ResearchChick

ResearchChick Approved members

I’d say it depends on a couple factors.

When I was mildly overweight, the 9mm sets worked beautifully. As I lost weight the 9mm sets allowed me a lot fewer sites that I could use due to hitting muscle too easily and caused both more pain and more blockages than I discovered the 6mm do for me now at my “goal weight”, even in my “softer” areas.

IOW, my personal experience has been if he has a decent layer of fat (or it’s possible with him just being ”male”, there might be more to work with than a small female like myself?)... or even maybe just a thick layer of skin, the 9mm may be of use to him. If he is very lean or muscular, you may want to look elsewhere for A1c improvements.