- advertisement -

Need some opinions...school, RN and independence...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

I will preface this by saying that although I do know we are fortunate to have a full time RN in our school, I do not like or trust her. Im not alone in this feeling ether.

OK, the issue. :) Currently Jason is doing BG checks in his class. If he needs a correction he has to go to the nurses office to "do" his pump. Same at lunch. We post bolus, so he regularly goes up to the office after he eats. He has proven himself trustworthy and honest in all his D related tasks. He also has a 1 to 1 para with him at all times. She has been with him for over a year and she is truly a gem. I trust her judgement about J implicitly. However, because of the way NY law is written, only an RN can "give" insilun. Unless the child is deemed "independent".

My quandary is that should I have J declared independent? The RN spends less than 5 minutes supervising :rolleyes: him. His para counts his carbs and realistically he has memorized his lunches so he can usually tell the RN the number. Also J would be "doing" his pump with his para's supervision, just like he does at home with DH or myself. He literally wastes 15-20 minutes of class time every day going to the nurse's office for "nothing". He already loses enough time for his OT and PT, which he really needs.

So do I have a valid reason or am I nuts? :cool:

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My question is are you absolutely certain you won't lose the para if you declare him independent?

Otherwise, I don't blame you for not wanting your son to lose class time for no valid reason, especially if you trust the aide.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My question too. You don't want to loose such a gem of an aide.

Would your son be allowed to deliver his own insulin with her checking on dosing?

4. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

99% sure. The justification for the para is "asymptomatic hypoglycemia". I do have to double check. Unfortunately *I* am the expert at the school. :eek: I have to get in contact with the district to be 100% sure.