- advertisement -

Need Some Home Schoool Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Yaaker, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Yaaker

Yaaker Approved members

Hi all,I know theere's a bunch of you home schooling you kids,would you mind sharing what program you go thru?? Wee're winging it these first few days,but need to get settled down into an actual curriculum:) and there's a LOT to choose from,and some cost ALOT:eek:,which we can't afford! Any advice would be welcomeed!!
    Also a short update,Kris wrote an email to the teacher & all 3 board members,strange thing was,the teacher got hers,the board members didn't,but the teacher didn't mention it to the board either:rolleyes:. When one of the lady's from the board called the house to check if Kris would be a fund raiser meeting,,,,,,,,,the poor lady found out what was happening,she wasn't real happy with the teacher,nor the speech therapist.She tried to suggest that the teacher didn't get her email either,and Kris had to tell her that she knew she had,because when her sister stopped to pick up her check,the teacher shoved two paper bags at her and said "here,I emptied out theeir desks" :confused:(after one day,and no other effort to fix anything!)
    So we'll see if the board does anything or not in the meantime we'd appreciate some input on where you're finding your curriculum from,Thanks! Lori

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I have no suggestions on homeschooling. If they want the kids in school they need to keep on top of this and not let it go. Call the board members to make sure they've gotten their emails. I would also call a meeting. Call the ADA and the ORC.

3. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We tend to follow "loosely" the Well Trained Mind styling. A classical education.
    We use Story of the World, History Odyssey, Artistic Pursuits, Teaching Textbooks and The Key To Series for math. Latina Christiana and First Form for Latin, a variety for German, Rod and Staff English,Real Science 4 Kids for science and a bunch of other items as well.
    I would check out the Well Trained Mind forum for some other types as well.
    Good luck.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

I don't know which state you are in, but what I would do first is find a local homeschooling group in your area if possible. At the very least in your state. They can give you great advice that is particular to your state. They can also be very valuable to talk converse with. It's hard to just throw out a curriculum suggestion without knowing the personalities involved, the learning strengths and weaknesses, the desire to make this a lifestyle or just get through until the school gets things straight, etc.

I would also suggest that you join Homeschool Legal Defense Association. They require a yearly membership fee, but they help you with any issues with the school and will even represent you in court if it would ever come to that. All of their services are covered by the yearly membership fee. Check out their website at: www.hslda.org It can give you some peace of mind at the very least considering all of the troubles you've had with the school.

Good luck and I hope I have been helpful.

5. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

I second the suggestion to find a local homeschooling group - they can give you a good start. In a few months most states will start having their yearly homeschool convention and you can get a lot of info there.

Our family has used Calvert School, Abeka, and Sonlight. Right now we are using Sonlight with our younger ones and following most of the suggestions in The Well-Trained Mind for the older ones. Both Sonlight and The Well-Trained Mind have very active forums - if you can spend some time at each of them you will learn a lot about the different curriculums out there. Hth!!

6. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

We are currently using

Teaching Textbooks, and Saxon for MAth
    Heart of Dakota for a unit study
    CLE Language Arts

I am very tired now, feel free to email me at stellar@nycap.rr.com

with any questions.

Kariann

7. candise

candise Approved members

We have used K12 and loved it. We went through their virtual charter schools. If you go to their website and search for your state you can see if they offer it. It is a free public option.

8. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Based on my own experience and what I know of your situation, in 3rd grade I would suggest you use Horizons Math, some language arts workbook that you get at the local bookstore, read aloud lots of books (look at Sonlight.com for some good suggestions), and go to the library and get any kind of science books and read them.

For next year, if you are still homeschooling, you can do do some research and figure out what is the best curriculum to use.

Make sure you follow the rules in your state to notify the school district that you are homeschooling.

9. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

We use Connection Academy. Connections Academy is a charter public home school on line and it it ALL FREE. We love the program. You can go to www.connectionsacademy.com and click on your state to find out if they have a free program in your state.

10. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

We were using K12 before Cassidy was dx'ed, through one of the charter schools also, I love it. Its definitely worth looking into.

11. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

We do "interest based" homeschooling. It involves lots of "strewing" (providing an environment full of interesting things and activities) and "facilitation" (pursing the interests that develop). This approach required a fundamental shift in the way dh and I thought about learning: we had to trust that children come pre-wired for learning and will do so without coercion or having to follow a specific agenda. I know it might sound "iffy" to those of us who came from very traditional public school backgrounds, but the results are amazing.

Deborah

12. MaryMom

MaryMom Approved members

We have been homeschooling since 1999, and have followed The Well Trained Mind's list of books/curriculum.

One year, I purchased from Sonlight. You will receive everything you need in a box for a school year, right down to the cotton balls for your science experiments. Expensive, but everything is there, and a lot of people seem to like it.

13. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

You ask 15 homeschoolers which curriculum they use and you will get 15 different replies. No two homeschoolers will homeschool the same way. Basically you will just try different things until you find what works best for your children.

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com This is an excellent review of curriculum site, where actual people who have used the programs will comment on what they liked and disliked about it.

I am sorry I missed your other posts about what was happening at your school, but you and your children will also need some time to decompress especially if it was a very stressful situation. That is one of the beauties of homeschooling is that you can take the time you need to get back into a peaceful state of mind and then enjoy learning again. Because here you call the shots--no pun intended. :p