- advertisement -

Need some Help!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by punky1076, Aug 1, 2008.

1. punky1076

punky1076 Approved members

:eek:I have a friend whose son is showing symptoms of d. Bed wetting, excessive thirst, extreme hunger, etc. She took him to his pediatrician this morning to do a fasting bs and urine test. No ketones and bs was 85. All she was told was to keep a log of eating habits, drinking habits, and bed wetting. ??? She wasn't advised to buy a meter and check his bs at all. Nothing mentioned about ketone strips. What the heck?? I don't understand this reasoning. She has called me for advice and I'm afraid I don't have a lot for her.

I assumed when he went to the doctor that he would surely be dx'ed. Our closest endo is an hour away and the only way my daughter was able to see him was to go through the ER. Could this be pre-diabetes? Is there another test that can be done. What advice would you give to this mother worried to death about doing nothing? I hate this wait and and see attitude from the doctor's office.

2. CButler

CButler Approved members

Get a second opinion? Maybe another pediatrician would handle it differently?

3. punky1076

Very very small town. One medical center in the are that handles all the children in the area. About 5 pediatricians in the one center though....I wonder if she might see another one in that office who would handle it differently.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation tomorrow and I want to be able to help her. Wonder if at the very least she should be checking ketones in the urine. That would atleast put her mind at ease. Atleast she would know he wasn't in any real danger. What does everyone think????

4. CButler

CButler Approved members

That certainly wouldn't hurt.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Diabetes is not diagnosed on the symptoms you listed only. The blood sugar must be higher than 81, depending on the meter used.

Here is the chart of how many professionals diagnose diabetes: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0n_010.htm

Most pediatricians have a home type meter, so the sugar would need to be over 200 to be of concern.

If it is diabetes, the child's pancreas is probably working in fits and starts. If it isn't, I hope the pediatrician finds out what is wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with testing for ketones.

6. punky1076

He has been complaining of headaches and stomach aches as well. Hasn't noticed being tired, but my daughter never was either. The doctor said that we caught hers before it got to that point.

He is getting up several times at night to get soemthing to drink. His mother told me that they found him drinking out of the bathroom faucet one night because they wouln't give him anything else to drink. (Thought that he just wanted an excuse to get up out of bed) I remember my daughter doing the exact same thing.

My thing is the doctor didn't really give any direct instructions. Not running any additional tests or anything. Just keep up with his bed wetting, bathroom breaks, and what he's eating. Just frustrating to me!!

7. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

she can buy a meter at any store, and keep a log of his blood sugars as well. Then I would reccomend testing at several different times of day. (not after a meal tho, but 2 or so hours after) She can also get ketone strips over the counter.

Matts urine was sticky... a sign we sure missed. ask her about that...

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I would definately get a meter at the store - any cheap meter will do and a vial of ketone strips. They're all over the counter.

Have her check his bg and ketones when he's showing symptoms - like in the middle of the night when he's thirsty. She's going to have to be the one to be proactive on this if the pediatrician isn't any help.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If it were my friend I would urge them to find another doctor who will take this more seriously right away. It may be nothing but if it is diabetes, the sooner it is caught the sooner they can begin dealing with it. You didn't say the age of the child or how long this has been going on. Also, did they only do one bg check?

10. punky1076

He is nine. Looking back she believes that he has been having the symptoms for about a month. You know how one day you just put it all together....well atleast that's how it happened with me. Once I started thinking about it I put all the pieces together.

She has talked with his dad and stepmom and they have been seeing the same symptoms for about a month or so. They did one fasting bs at the ped's offce and a urine culture. No ketones and bs was 85 so they sent them home. That's about it.

11. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I agree that she should find another doctor. Is she in VA or MD or where? Maybe someone around where she is can find a good doc for her..

12. punky1076

She lives in Martinsville Virginia. A few minutes away from me. Our nearest endo is in Roanoke, VA....about an hour away. Not likely to get an appoitment with them anytime soon unless referred by another doctor. We had to go through ER. It is a huge practice. They serve people from all around this area. It's the only practice I know of for quite a distance.

I'm going to tell her to pick up a mter and some ketone strips and monitor him real real closely. And in the meantime, see if she can get him in to see another pediatrician locally.

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Has he lost any weight? When my friends daughter was having these symptoms, I told her to have her drink orange juice, then take her in...If he's not D, the pancreas will give insulin for the juice, if he is, it should show up high and help with a dx'd. JMO:cwds: My friends daughter was dx'd that day:(

14. punky1076

She can't tell that he has lost any weight recently. He is growing taller. She did say that he hasn't gained any weight in about a year according to doctor's visits. I don't know if she has anything else to refer back to, like a weight from a couple of weeks ago or even a month ago. I'll check and see. It could be that he has lost weight and she can't tell from the height that he is gaining.

My dd did the same thing. She was shooting up like a weed and all the time losing weight. I didn't think that she had lost that much weight. When I weighed her she had lost like 12 lbs. in like three weeks.

She is trying to get him in to see another doctor. Hopefully, we can either get him dx'ed or rule out d all together. I can't imagine what else it could be. But it's surely something wrong and needs to be taken care of.

I'll tell her about the OJ!

15. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I would say if she see's any changes have him drink the OJ and head to the nearest ER to have them check him. Its best if its caught early.. I almost lost my daughter and I dont like hearing doctors saying just monitor him.. Mom & Dad's know best..

16. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

If the blood sugar is that low and no ketones/sugar in urine I would agree with the doctor. If the blood sugar was higher then I'd be concerned. My 3 year old eats like a horse and is constantly going to the bathroom (I usually joke that he goes every 15 minutes!), wets thru his pull-ups all the time at night but if I test him he is always below 100. I am not worried about him being diabetic just because Andrew is diabetic. I think kids are just made up differently and some kids do require more juice and more bathroom time.

17. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I agree with others who said get a BG tester and test at home with some Ketone sticks.

In addition, I would still find another doctor for a second opinion.

18. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

What became of this situation... ?