- advertisement -

Need some GF input for breakfast for Type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KatieJane'smom, Dec 31, 2010.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I'm having 3 or 4 type 1's overnight at a New Year's Eve party for our foreign exchange students. One of the girls is celiac and we planned on pancakes in the morning for breakfast. If I had known ahead of time I would have bought GF food for her but, as it is, I will have to make do with whatever is in my pantry. Any ideas? I guess I can always cook her a couple of eggs but thought I could get some better ideas from my GF friends.

Thank you in advance - I might not be back on until the wee hours of the morning with 20 or so teens in the house.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Cereal - some cereals are GF - Kix, most Chex, Frosted Flakes, etc

Other than that, since most "breakfast type" foods are breads, you'd need GF flour to make them. I don't have a lot of other ideas, unfortunately.

3. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

fruits, veggies, cheese, omlets -m

yogurt? I guess I would ask the child is she is a teen? my dd would bring her own larabar or zone bar just in case and she is only 7! =-)
    A ton of fruit and any omlet would word, most potatos, etc

good luck!

4. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Eggs, bacon, sausage, ham. Alli eats Post Cocoa Pebbles, fruity pebbles are gf too.

Any fruits that you have would be gf.

You can grate some potatoes and make hash browns.

5. KatieJane'smom

Oh, fruit & yogurt - duh! I have those. See, I just had a brain freeze and couldn't come up with anything. Not sure what cereals I have but I think I have enough to make do.

Since she lives so far away, she is now staying with us until Sunday evening so will be eating several meals with us but after tonight I can run into town and pick up some GF flour or whatever else we might need.

Thanks to all of you for your help:cwds:

6. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Kristi, I wouldn't bother with gf flour. It is expesive and you can do this with natural things that aren't so costly. All unprocessed meats are gf, potatoes are gf, and veggies are gf.

If she uses butter it will have to be a new stick. Any butter in a tub will be contaminated.
    HTH!

7. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Smoothies? most kids love 'em (if you use yogurt, make sure its GF)

8. angiej

angiej Approved members

This is a pancake I used to make in dieting days - just an egg, sugar/sweetner and a bit of vanilla. It would be a pancake and gf :)

Separate one Egg, whip up the white. put in sugar or sweetner to taste, about three teaspoons. This gets rid of the egg taste and changes it from an omlette to a pancake.
    Stir a little vanilla essence into the egg yolk and fold into the egg white.
    Pour onto a hot oiled pan, if needed, smooth it out with the back of a spoon and then leave. This is more fragile than normal pancakes so leave until edges start to look cooked and then flip with a utensil to cook the other side a little.
    Serve hot

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Just check the ingredient list of any sausages -- many of them use binders/fillers and you have to make sure they aren't present in anything you give to a GF person.

Good luck!

10. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

YOu could buy a buy a box of the GF Bisquick... makes great pancakes. All the kids would probably like and not as expensive as the GF flour.

11. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I'd suggest the GF Bisquick as well. Easy & great. =)

12. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

is oatmeal gf?

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Some people with celiac have antibody response to oatmeal, others do not. One possible reason is that oats may be grown in a field within several miles of a wheat field, and some wheat may contaminate the oat field. Or, it could be that oats share something in common with gluten. Our GI doc said it was OK to try, but only if we used oats labeled as GF and increased our antibody testing to every 3 months until we're sure it's not causing a problem.

15. KatieJane'smom

Thanks for the help, everyone! We had chicken, rice, and veggies for dinner. I hadn't thought about the tub of butter being contaminated so I appreciate the heads up on that!