- advertisement -

Need Sick Day Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WillowBean, Apr 22, 2012.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

My 8 yr old has been throwing up since 2:30. He is throwing up every 15-20 minutes, BS in range (126), and large ketones. Do I give extra insulin to get rid of the ketones? I am worried about him going low with the extra insulin and then having no way to get carbs into him.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our endo gave us a prescription for suppositories that stop vomiting.
    If you had those I think I would give that and then give popcicles or something with insulin to cover them.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'd have him take tiny spoonfuls of sugary liquid or suck on a popsicle - perhaps that way he will absorb something. And then once his BG goes above target you will be able to correct it down.

Hugs! So hard dealing with D and illness. I hope he's out of the woods soon. :(

4. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Have your glucagon ready for mini glucagon shots. Mix up your glucagon and using a normal syringe you give 1 u for every year of age - it will bring the bg up and allow you to push insulin to clear the ketones. We went through this recently and he couldn't even suck on an ice cube but it made him throw up. Mini glucagon is the only way to go. We wasted hours with his bg in the 40s and large ketones trying to get glucose into him - but he just vomited it straight back up. Although he continued to vomit every 20 minutes for 8 more hours, once we gave him the glucagon his Bg came up in 20 minutes and we started getting insulin into him.

6. WillowBean

Thanks for the advice. He started drinking Sierra Mist (it's the only thing he wanted) and he threw up the first two sips within minutes.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

you need to get the constant vomitting under control, have you contacted his Dr. for advice?

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Time to contact the endo. That is why his is your child's doctor.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This^^^^

Good luck. :cwds: I hope things look up soon.

10. WillowBean

We made it through the night at home. He has not thrown up since 11pm (know on wood). BS is on the higher side but it is coming down so I think we are headed in the right direction.

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm so glad to see this update. :cwds:

We had our first stomach bug with D earlier in the year, and it totally freaked me out. I was on the phone with the endo on call.

I would talk to your endo about getting some zofran just in case. It saved us by stopping the vomitting so he could keep some fluids down and get the bgl up.