- advertisement -

Need Serious Help in SoCal

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BozziesMom, Aug 21, 2008.

1. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Ok, as some of you may have been picking up, we need a new peds endo. Please I could really use any and all input, good and bad, on endos for a toddler in Southern California. I have had a couple of people give me a bit of info, which I appreciate tremendously.

But I'd like to know about private endos vs. teams and where they can be found! And who's good and who's not so good and why. Thanks all. (Please forward to all friends and family. ;))

Seriously. We need help! :) Thank you!

2. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

When we lived down there we use to go to Dr Gottschalk out of Children's hospital San Diego . I was really happy with him.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Just to give you more options... look around for a pediatrician who specializes in Type 1.
    We found one here in Philly who does (in fact, he has Type 1), and we couldn't be happier.
    Our pediatrican has so much practical knowlege and integrates dd's diabetes care into her
    general pediatric care. If we ever need to see an Endo - and I hope we won't - he can consult
    with one on our behalf or refer us to one.

We were introducted to this doctor by our CDE. Your local CDE may know Endo's and
    pediatricians who they can recommend personally. Here's a link to find CDE's anywhere in the US:
    http://www.diabeteseducator.org/DiabetesEducation/Find.html

4. BozziesMom

Thank you! I'll check out the link. So far I have actually found two pediatricians who specialize in Type 1, but strangely refer out. *sigh* I'll hunt more though!

5. BozziesMom

Thank you. I'm saving EVERYTHING from this thread. I appreciate the input.

6. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

I am not in SoCal myself but I happen to know of a WONDERFUL pediatric endo in San Diego...she was Zeb's endo from his DX until last fall when she moved to San Diego to help care for her mother. I am not sure where she is practicing but I know that she is. I am sure you could find her with a little searching.

Her name is Dr. Ajanta Naidu. I cannot say enough about how great she is, we always knew she was good but it wasn't until she left that we knew how good we really had it. She had Zeb pumping 8 months after DX, wrote all of his scrips to allow for extra's. At each appointment we saw Her with PA, CDE, social worker, and nurse...they always downloaded meter and pump and went over log book with us to spot trends. Uggh...I miss her so much, we are suppose to have someone new this fall but the 2 hour drive for very little care in the mean time is killing me.

Okay enough said...I hope you find someone who works well for you and your family but I recommend tracking her down if you can and meeting with her.

Good luck

Robyn

I found this site which seems to be where she is currently practicing:

http://www.ucidiabetes.com/staff1.php

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. bisous

bisous Approved members

I don't know where you are but we are seen at Children's Hospital Los Angeles which is definitely more of a "team" but we've been very pleased with them! I have heard that here in Ventura County, Dr. Severs (sp?) sees many patients and she is supposed to be fantastic. That may or may not be very far from where you are. Feel free to pm me if you want specifics.

8. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Glad I read before posting, I miss her badly!!!

9. BozziesMom

Thank you, Robyn. I'm sorry you lost your good doctor. I've added this to the list to check out.

10. BozziesMom

Found it! So he was a toddler at dx too. So Dr. Naidu would know all about toddlers' insulin sensitivity and wouldn't suggest a unit to correct overnight with an ISF of 500?

I'm done. I was going to give the new team a chance, but it is the same doctor; I just called and confirmed and as nice as she is she does not know toddlers. Plus my CDE called yesterday when we left a message for help and I never got to tell her what I needed. She was so busy handing down orders based on numbers without letting me explain the factors that contributed to those numbers that we ended up hanging up very heated and without resolving anything. I had to do it on my own, without her knowledge or approval. She also told me to increase the Lantus, which was not the problem from where I stand. Do you increase the Lantus when the numbers are in the 100's from bedtime til about 3 am, then jump to 300's by 5 am? Sounds to me more like the Lantus was losing potency at that point combined with dawn phenom perhaps. He was getting his Lantus at 5 am. I don't know and without her listening to me, we couldn't come up with any conclusions.

I'll know better in a few days if we need to increase the Lantus since I changed the timing on it, but she just didn't listen. I'm sick to death. She seriously talked to me and dh like a couple of errant children who need to learn how to follow directions.

11. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

personally, i loved CHOC in orange county. i met so many people there in the programs. and definitely check out padrefoundation.org and dys.org
    they're linked together and do amazing activities for diabetic children. i still go to the outings they have. and every year they have a fashion show with all the kids.

they also support the diabetes camp i work at. it's really fun and definitely allows your child to meet tons of friends who are just like them.
    i loved the padre foundation as soon as i joined when i was 12. definitely check it out.