- advertisement -

Need opinions quickly please...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mojo's mommy, Dec 2, 2007.

1. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

Ketones are ketones I thought. If she's not drinking she is not getting anything to flush out the ketones. Can you bribe her with anything...sugary soda, kool-aid? She needs something to help flush them out and then the extra insulin too.

2. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

OKee dokie.... Got her to eat some macaroni, and some water...then she vomited !

She says she feels better now, I have her sipping water / 7-up little bits at a time. This is the 1st time in 48 hours that she looks half decent. I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope the light is at the end of the very long tunnel now

I will check her keytones in 30 minutes and see where we are at...

3. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Oh my! Hopefully the vomiting will make all the difference for her poor tummy. Now if she can just keep sipping that 7-up... and you can bolus... and her ketones can drop...

I'd suggest not bolusing much for the 7-up until you're sure she's going to keep it down. (been there, done that before!) Better to correct later than to bolus and end up with lows when you're dealing with vomiting.

Best of luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's on the mend!:cwds:

4. 3js

3js Approved members

Glad to hear it got a bit better. Hope this keeps up.:)

5. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

hey if you need some motivation for her to drink some gaterade or eat a popsickle or something, show her the %$#@ glucagon needle! Its a horse syringe compared to what she is used to. And say "sweet heart I love you more than life itself, this is what i will have to use on you to keep you from going to the hospital if you cant swallow something within the next hour." Come nausea or not, i bet she will try to eat/drink!

6. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Have you tried making snow cones? When Hailey has a stomach ache she may not eat anything but 99% of the time she will eat a snow cone, it may take her forever but she will eat it.

7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

How's she doing? Ketones come down at all? I would be very worried with ketones that high. Can you request that your endo meet you at the hospital? It doesn't sound like the ER docs grasp the seriousness of this.

8. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

I'm keeping all crossables , crossed but looks like the worst is over (Hope I did'nt jinx myself there ) Keytones are down to 2.1 as of 30 minutes ago, not great but better than 4.3 and she is eating and feeling no tummy pains. I have been able to give her a bit of insulin 2 or 3 times.

She is now snoring in the chair next to me after proclaiming not to be tired :p
    I am a little exhausted myself.

Thanks sooo much for all your replies, support and advice. Once again, the one place I can count on for help with this stupid D stuff.

9. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Did things continue to improve?

It is so scary to be in that situation.

Just thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way... Last week, the stomach bug kept coming back to our house, and I hope it stays away from yours.