- advertisement -

Need jog-a-thon advice for MDI

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Oct 16, 2011.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi All,

DD6 has jog-a-thon tomorrow, running for 45 minutes, and I am not sure what needs to happen to keep her from going too low. :confused: She hasn't played sports or anything before, and this seems to call for more than what we would do for PE. Right? My only idea is to give her a juice box right before she runs. She's on MDI.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Oh, PS: How high should we get her BG before she starts?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Do you have any experience at all with her running before? Is she going to be running the whole 45 minutes or walking part?

I suggest a juice box before, and taking more sugar with her while she runs. What number to aim for depends on the person but generally something in the 120-240 range.

Sometimes sprinting raises blood sugar and some serious runners intersperse sprinting with slower running to keep more steady blood sugar.

Running when I did it soon after dx really wiped me out and lowered my blood sugar very dramatically. I would need, back then, roughly 60 grams of sugar for a 45 minute run. These days a run doesn't seem to do much- I don't need much if any sugar at all.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If she hasn't done sports before, I doubt that she will be able to keep going for 45 minutes - I guess that there would be periods of walking. If you won't be able to check her BG during, she's probably better to go into it high. Before running I usually have 20g carbs (not juice because I don't absorb that quickly, but use juice if it works for your daughter) 15 minutes before I start, so that the absorption of carbs has a headstart on the insulin.

Running whilst digesting food which I've taken insulin for is an absolute no-no for me, because running slows my digestion and speeds up the insulin absorption, causing severe lows.

4. Lize

Lize Approved members

I our experience the adrenilin made her go high the moment she started running.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Pumping Insulin's ExCarbs charts lists that for a 100 lb. individual, running 5 mph in a hour burns 45 carbs, 8 mph 96 carbs, and 10 mph 126 carbs. Walking is listed at 15 carbs for 3 mph and 30 carbs for 30 mph. I would adjust this for my DD's weight and guess somewhere between the 3 and 5 mph and carb accordingly, giving the most at the start and then more part-way through.

6. anna-bananna

Thank you all so much!

A couple of things I found out this morning (I had been going on what DD thought would happen): 1) DD's class is running right after lunch and recess, and 2) they are only running for about 30 minutes, instead of 45.

So...the additional running, on top of recess, kind of concerns me (she goes low about 1/2 the time in the afternoons on school days, anyway)...but also, if it's right after recess, she might be worn out from recess and not run much for the jog-a-thon? On the other hand, she is VERY strong-willed & determined :rolleyes:, so definitely has it in her to keep going, anyway.:D

So, because of the double-whammy with recess, I was kind of thinking about giving her 1/2 unit less of her lunchtime insulin (Novolog) than what her carbs work out to (in other words, I would calculate her lunchtime dose as normal, but then subtract out 1/2 unit in the end), on top of giving juice according to her weight and the chart posted above. Is this too much (over-anticipating the low)?

I am trying to coach myself that this is going to be a great confidence builder for us for the future, plus give us the info we need to make good sports decisions in the future; but for now I am just really nervous about it! I just don't want her passing out on me! :eek: :cwds:

It's going to be fine, it's going to be fine, it's going to be fine......

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If it were me, I'd need much more than 1/2 a unit to be knocked off the lunch bolus. I'd probably only do a half bolus. But I don't know how sensitive your daughter is to exercise or what her BGs are normally like, so you know better. :)

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would be careful about the time after the jog-a-than. My son had lows a few hours after the exercise or the following night.

If she goes low after lunch with just recess, I would give her half the insulin she usually gets.

There is nothing wrong with having her run on the high side.

9. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Absolutely watch her a couple of hours after the jogging, I know with my son, he has what I call "exercise effect" for hours after exercising... which causehim to go low maybe 4 hours after exercising... I know YDMV, but just a note to keep a watch for delayed lows...

Good luck, you will figure this all out in time... lots of trial and error and effort, but it WILL work out!

Kathy

10. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

If she's going straight from lunch to recess and then to the jog-a-thon then I would go with the 1/2 bolus for lunch as well.

For spur of the moment running we generally estimate 1 carb for every minute of running, and that's in addition to carbs to cover any active insulin remaining from a prior meal bolus.

11. anna-bananna

Thank you so much for all of the replies and advice! It went really well (phew!!:D), thanks to everyone's input.

I ended up cutting the lunch dose in half as suggested, plus had the school give her a juice box about 15 minutes prior to the race. I didn't know it in advance, but the school also provided orange slices for the kids to snack on immediately after the race. I went ahead and let her have that uncovered, since I was so unsure of how the exertion would affect her and thought it would be better for her to run high, anyway. I checked her about 2 hours after (for my peace of mind...even though she insisted that she was fine), and she was in the 300s, but I was afraid to correct! Then, at the 4 hour mark, she felt herself dropping and tested at 100. So I gave her a snack. Good thing my uncle had a birthday party tonight...she munched her way through the evening and stayed in range. Tonight, I am having a hard time keeping her number high enough to get her through the night, so I am testing (and giving her a snack if she's less than 150) every 2 hours. It looks like it will be a long night!!! But, she had the most amazing time & ran her little heart out...so, it's worth it!

Anyway, I just wanted to post an update and to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the advice...she was able to run free, just like I'd hoped, and it wouldn't have happened without all of your tips!

I seriously don't know what I'd do without this site. Thanks, again!

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It has been my experience that the blood sugar is usually fine during an athletic event if less insulin is given.

The nighttime afterwards is usually a challenge.

13. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

On Soccer game days depending on time of game, if its early after breakfast I may give him 1/2 less and make sure he has extra protein....I was told 15c of protein every 30 minutes of exercise(..tube of yogurt is 13, mini yogurts drink are 15c...) Right before she starts running have her take that extra protein....My son has not had any lows after games or practice...we will keep the insulin at about 1/2 unit less for that day, or one meal depending on the time.....and as always we give him 30c at night(1/2 unit covered)of protein snack to ensure no nightly lows..

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Awesome!! Well done to you, and to your daughter. :) Hope the overnight went well.