- advertisement -

Need Insurance, but Have Zero Knowledge or Experience

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by tracycramer, May 26, 2014.

1. tracycramer

tracycramer Approved members

We are moving from moving from Japan to Texas very soon. I need to buy health insurance coverage for myself and my 6 and 8 year old girls, the 8 year having type 1 diabetes. (No one else has any health issues.) We are low income, but not low enough to get Medicaid or other government subsidized plans. I have near zero knowledge or experience with health insurance. Can anyone recommend how I can get the minimal knowledge I need to make an adequately informed decision about what kind of coverage we should buy, and with what plan/insurer? Or can you direct me to a thread where this issue has come up? (My daughter also needs to get a pump.) thank you, tracy

2. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

I've had good luck using ehealthinsurance to get rates and ultimately purchase insurance. You can start here: http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/texas-health-insurance

Your child's Type 1 diabetes won't be an issue as new laws have done away with pre-existing conditions.

3. tracycramer

tracycramer Approved members

Dear Mary,
    I really appreciate your sending this information. It should get me going. All the best to you and your kids.
    Tracy
    Father to
    Serena (non-d)
    and Sophia (diagnosed Type 1 in July, 2011 at 7 years old)