- advertisement -

need ideas, tips and hints...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by payam7777777, Jun 19, 2008.

1. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

I need ideas on getting employed in an LED sign company in the States willing to hire a good LED sign hardware designer / firmware programmer. I'm apparently ready/eager to move to / work in the States. Well, We kinda have to. Here's my resume just in case:
    http://www.filejumbo.com/Download/10FD7C59AE3714BE
    I'd also appreciate your quick glance/opinion on the resume. Oh, and I've already sent it to a lot of companies just a few hours ago. And i've read ~enough about visas... . What I need my friends is ideas and hints and tips on moving/employment in the States.

karpoozi123 likes this.
  2. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Have you looked through www.careerbulders.com and Monster Jobs? Not sure what part of the states you are looking to move but you could google the part of the US that you are moving to and get the local paper online, they will have specific jobs in there as well.

Good Luck.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

karpoozi123 likes this.
  4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

You need to figure out where in the States you want to live and then focus on those area. OR find a job and then live where the job is. But in my mind, I would decide what sort of climate you want to live in and then look for employment in that area. On top of all that there are many parts of the country with HUGE Iranian populations which might be really familiar for you - I think southern california currently has big communities, and it makes it easier to stay connected to your home, your food, your religion if there are others all doing the same thing. Plus the weather is nice. :) That said, there are also other parts of the country, like the northeast, where you'll find just about every ethnicity you can imagine, so newcomers are welcomed and just about everyone you meet is from somewhere else. And diversity is quite expected here.

So for me, if I were moving to another country, I'd be looking to settle where things weren't quite so foreign to me.

5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Your resume itself is actually pretty good. My suggestion to you would be to pare down the "experience" section into three or four bullet points for each job. Additionally, since you are applying in a technical field, I would list the education and specialized training FIRST, followed by the career experience.

Good luck!

6. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Hi Payam, I know quite a few people who have immigrated.

Forget job posting boards. All good jobs in engineering at least are done by word of mouth first, technical recruiters second, open job posting boards about 972nd.

My suggestion would be first sign up on linkedin.com and post your information. You can be a connection to me (see my profile for my Yahoo email) and then you'll show up in a lot of networks. I've gotten tons of technical recruiting offers from there, and I'm not even looking for a job.

I've never used a tech recruiter myself, but I get phone calls all the time from them, and I can send your info along. Before long they'll start contacting you. Once you have a tech recruiter they will have a bunch of great ideas for you on the resume, better than I could ever do.

Then I suggest finding a company willing to sponsor your green card over here. Larger companies will be able to do this, but even our small company has done so when they want the right person. You may need to generalize a little bit at first, as LED signs are quite specialized. However getting good EEs who can do hardware design is very much needed, especially here in the Northeast.

I wish you the best in your efforts. It can be a long, difficult progress, but IMO immigration is what this country is built on and what makes it special.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I emailed it along to my brother, a tech recruiter in the San Francisco CA area. I'll let you know what I hear back.:cwds:

8. payam7777777

thank you all.
    it seems to me that my first thing is where the job is. then, i looove to be where it's more america than where more iranians found. if i had a choice i'd go to the big apple. thanks brensdad. my education is not that good to bring it up. my experience is. thanks saxmaniac. i'll give it a shot. and sarah, that'll be wonderfull. thanks.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

that's the funny thing about Americas. We're everything. On my street I have a family from Italy, 2 families from Vietnam, 1 family from somewhere in China, I never quite get it becaues I don't understand him, and one family from Brazil, and an apartment complex where half the people are newly come over from places in Africa. And (other than the newly arrived Africans) we're all Americans. It's so cool. :)

10. 3js

3js Approved members

11. payam7777777

you bet. i personally consider it our second best choice.