advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help

Discussion in 'Legislative Issues' started by KatieJane'smom, Jul 18, 2008.

1. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Does anyone have any information about ADA supporting diabetic alert service dogs or the organizations that train them?

My attorneys filed in Federal court today for discrimination by our school district. One of the main points is about the service dog she has. I understand that service dogs for diabetics are relatively new and my attorneys are looking for an organization (like ADA(diabetes) or HRC or some government agency) that can testify that the organization that trained my DD's dog is "reputable & competent" (unlike another service dog organization that is currently being sued by their own state's Attorney General).

Does anyone know of a contact person at ADA who would have any information about service dogs? I know that Diabete's Forecast has featured diabetic alert dogs in at least two recent issues. If anyone has a contact that can help me or give me information I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW, my daughter's new service dog alerted on her 4 times today - 3 times for highs & once when her bg was 72 and on the way down fast. She was able to treat before going any lower. The dog is a great help to my DD and makes her feel so much more secure at night.

Thank you in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Wow,
    I am sorry for the trouble you guys are going through.

I would think that the service dog org. would have some idea of who to contact???

I do not know if this will help as it does not state for schools but maybe http://www.ada.gov/animal.htm

now, this one states for schools and has laws for each state
    http://www.servicedogssavelives.org/laws.html

http://www.iaadp.org/doglaws.html

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stustxguidedoglaws.htm

Here are some articles and things to read.
    Good luck.
    p.s. Where did you get your daughter's dog?

Allene

3. KatieJane'smom

Thanks for the links!! Long story on the service dog. We actually raised over $10,000 for Heaven Scent Paws & are supposed to be in Missouri right now at their 3 week class. Thankfully, we found out that their dogs actually are NOT trained and are very much mis-treated and that they are being sued by their own Attorney General for scamming people.

So.....we started working with a trainer in Kentucky, Liz Norris with Pawsibilities Unleashed. She is absolutely wonderful and really, really has a way with dogs. I highly recommend her!! Most people get their dogs from her (which is what I would recommend) but we happened to have found this adorable little pup with a fantastic non-stop sniffing nose at our local animal shelter. After we nursed the scrawny little thing back to health, Liz came & trained her for us. After my daughter had worked with her for just two days she woke her up in the middle of the night 3 times to alert her to a very high bg. It's truly an amazing thing to see. The times she has alerted to a low it's been about 20 to 30 minutes before the meter even picks it up.

This is only my daughter's second full week of working with the dog & it's alerting with great accuracy. It only missed one time when my daughter was in the pool & the dog wasn't near her & it was also the day after she was spayed so we forgave that missed alert. I have to admit I was a bit of a sceptic but now that I've seen what these dogs can do I wouldn't want my DD to be without it - better than a CGMS in my opinion.

Thank you, again, for the helpful links. I really do appreciate it!

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Any luck yet???
    Allene

5. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

We have an 8 month old black lab that we bought for this very purpose. His breeder was excellent, and her dogs have been used numerous times as bomb sniffing dogs, so I'm hopeful he will inherit the "good nose". So far, we are still working with his puppiness, but have been incorporating some training around detecting lows. I'm glad to see you've had some success in this area!:D

6. KatieJane'smom

There is a very helpful website you might want to visit if you are interested in training your own dog for diabetic alert.

diabeticalertdog.com

Vince has pulled together some really good resources on this site.

And yes, I've had a little bit of luck with the contact gathering for my attornies. We went to Kentucky to visit our trainer this this past week and she gave us some good contacts but I'm still working on gathering some here locally.

7. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

Thanks for the link! :D

8. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

my daughter, 15, is currently self-training under the guidance of pawsibilities unleashed. she is working with a british lab who is now alerting with INCREDIBLE accuracy. I'm interested to hear how your training is going. ?is there anyone 'guiding you'? We also tried HSP first and our experience there was very disappointing - we searched for another dog / another organization . . . and then, we were able to test this pup at 7 weeks - to see how his temperament was and to see what kind of drive he had to use his nose. He has been leashed to my daughter ever since then! He is now approaching 6 months and is totally amazing.