- advertisement -

Need help with swimming and CGMS not staying on!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by pdxmom, Jul 24, 2009.

1. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

My dd has been on the sensor for over a year. We have always had good luck with tegaderm to keep the sensor on (sports, showers, etc). However, the pool this summer is a whole different story. When she goes swimming, she's in the pool for HOURS and eventually the tegaderm just gives up. Her skin is sensitive to mastisol, so that's not an option.

What are you guys using that works when submerged for hours on end?! The sensor ends up coming out and not only are we wasting sensors, but it's absolutely driving me mad! I need her to have the sensor on in the summer now more than ever with all of the crazy activity of an 11 year old.

HELP!

:confused:

2. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We do a layer of opsite tape under the sensor and sometimes a larger layer over the whole thing. Seems to work for us.

3. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

Thanks for the opsite suggestion. Do you know if it's sold at pharmacies, or will I have to order it?!

I'd love to find something locally asap as we are headed to the beach this weekend!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I second the suggestion of Opsite. We order it online from Edgepark pharmacy.

We've never found it locally, but I think your best shot at finding it locally would be an actual pharmacy, as opposed to a Wal-Mart or Target pharmacy.

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

No, Opsite isn't usually found at the pharmacy. Give them a call though, just in case I'm wrong.
    We buy ours from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1248460452&sr=8-1

Since you're leaving so soon, I just wanted to give you another option.
    We use the big bandaids to cover the sensor
    Make sure it's the flexible fabic because the sheer ones don't stay on well with water.
    These are the GOOD ones http://www.bandaid.com/images/products/durableProtection/img3.jpg

These are NOT so good in water http://www.bandaid.com/images/products/img6.jpg

[​IMG]

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We use opsite and also an adult sized wrist band over the sensor/transmittor. The opsite does peel at the edges after 10 days, but it does the job very well. Even though the opsite peels a little, it holds the tape from the sensor on very well after 10 days. The wrist band makes it extra secure.

7. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We have really good luck using Nexcare 3M Durable Cloth tape. Our Wal-mart carries it. There are several other types together, only the Durable Cloth one holds well. Occasionally I need to add an extra piece of tape mid-week but it mostly lasts for 7 days. Even thru all-day swimming, slip 'n slide, barnwork, etc.

8. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

We use the Tegaderm HP. The regular Tegaderm doesn't stay on her in water but the HP does.

9. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden has started just putting a wristband around it. She slides a wristband up over the sensor. It gets wet, but it doesn't seem to bother her a bit.

At FFL, another mom wrapped it with coband...that stayed on really well too.

10. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Since I couldn't find opsitape locally, I ended up going to the fabric store, bought a strip of neoprene fabric - cut it to the size of her arm, sewed up the seam and voila! PERFECT! Similar to the wrist band idea :) It was really snug and the tape has not peeled off one bit - and she was in the water ALL weekend at the beach.

You guys are awesome for all of the suggestions!

Thanks again!