- advertisement -

Need help with supplies?

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by sdkent, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sdkent

sdkent Approved members

I have bcbs of texas but the deductible is really high and now we can only get the Rx through medco and its really expensive. We dont qualify for any state insurance help. is there anything else we can try to help ease the financial aspect of diabetes??
    Thank you :confused::confused:

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

By state insurance are you referring to the programs specifically designed for children with chronic health conditions or more general state help? Cause the requirements for the former are much more liberal than for general state insurance.
    Also, the major players in diabetes supplies offer help. I know that Abbott has a program that can lower the co-pay for strips to $15 a month.

3. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Try to find out if there are coupons or co-pay discounts from the makers of the drugs that your family takes. Everytime my family needs a new medicine I go and google the medicine name with coupons or co-pay discounts and almost all of the medicines we get are for a lot lower co-pay or no co-pay at all. My daughter has ADHD and one of her montly medicines we get the full co-pay covered with the program and the other medicine we get for $15 instead of $40 a month. This is the same with my husbands medicinies that he is on. Then of course the diabetes medicines (Apidra) (Freestyle strips) (blood keytone strips) are all with 0 copay or greatly reduced. To be totally honest we pay nothing for all of our diabetes supplies at the moment with all of our discounts for insulin and using DME for strips, pump supplies and sensors.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have BCBS of Texas (I work for the state of Texas) and use http://fifty50pharmacy.com/ to get my supplies. You can get a three month supply for one co-pay.

Also for some medications (usually non-diabetic), it is cheaper to purchase a three month supply out of pocket than to pay three copays. I ask the doctor to write the prescription for three months and ask the pharmacy to not send it through the insurance.

5. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I didn't see any Animas supplies on their site. Do you go elsewhere for pump supplies?

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I usually call them for supplies. I couldn't find the Animas supplies listed either and called them up to point this out. They still carry the supplies. Thanks for pointing this out!

I have been using them for about 4 years.