- advertisement -

Need help with CGMS decision this time around

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by malyssa, Apr 5, 2010.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

So it's been a year that I've been on the cgms. I've been using the dexcom, and I love it, but the transmitter is toast, and since it has been a year, insurance will cover a new one! But in the last year, my insulin needs have gone waaay up, and the 200u resevoirs were not cutting it, so after some debating, and talking to my endo, I decided that, even though I've had problems with MM in the past, and it definitely wasn't my favorite pump that I've been on, that it would be in my best interest to use that pump again. So I've been on it for a few months now...

Anyway, this brings me to a dilema on which cgms to go with this time around. The dexcom was great when I was in high school, but at college, having two devices has gotten a bit annoying. Its hard to keep track of a pump, meter, receiver, etc. Just a lot of extra baggage when traveling to classes, and when you leave the receiver in your dorm on accident and go to class, it doesn't do you much good. :eek: Or when I do remember it, it sits in my bag, and its just kind of hard to look at all the time. If I was on the minilink, then it would always be right there. The only problem I have with it is the needle. I don't like needles, at all. I still get all tense with site changes. :eek: So I'm just wondering, how bad is the introducer needle on MM's cgms? I did a trial with it over a year ago, but I didn't put it in, I never even saw the needle (I was too scared to look). I mean, I've seen pictures of it on the computer and it looks huge, but I'm just wondering how bad it really is.

Has anyone been on both? Tried both? What about accuracy? Any suggestions, opinions, and/or info would be greatly appreciated.

Malyssa

2. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We have been using the MM CGM and have really liked it so far. I love the integration with the pump and as important to us, the capability with reports via Carelink. It is a great way to send info from CGM to doctor and to fine tune basal rates. The Revel also has predictive alerts which has helped my daughter catch a few lows even at night.

There have been many threads from others stating that they don't like the needle ... and according to our Pump trainer ... she thinks that the new sensors with smaller needles will be out in June. However, my daughter has had no problem with the needle. We have had little to no bleeding and she tells me that it does not hurt her. I put the sensor in her upper tush area. We have been using for 6 days a time vs. the recommended 3 days and I think most people use sensor for anywhere from 5-7 days. I hear the new sensor will be approved for 6 day use.

So we, both my daughter and I, have been very happy with the MM CGM. We have not tried any other CGM because we wanted it integrated into the pump ... so she could use info at school etc.

Hope that helps.:) Lisa

3. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My daughter has the minilink and although she doesn't LOVE the insertions, she does let me put them in without emla. I personally think that especially when self-managing, there is a huge advantage having it integrated.

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We use the MM, and because it's integrated, this is the only way we'll go. If something else integrates, my mind may change, but for now, I love that they are together in one unit!

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I do love the integration of the MM pump and cgms. I don't think I could get DD to wear another device 24/7. It would just be too much for us to keep track of, but of course ymmv. The minimed sensor for us works well when she is high, but doesn't pick up the lows all that accurately. We are still fine tuning (after a long break) calibrations, sites, etc so it could be us.

The needle size and transmitter size are being reduced, but probably not available until early next year. Since it hasn't been approved yet, it is a bit of a guess.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee's been using the MM cgms for 2 years.. love it, and its very accurate for her.. The needle is large, we use EMLA cream most of the time.. if you can, get some numbing cream, if not, ice it before the insertion and you should be OK.. they are coming out with a smaller needle soon.. I'm just not sure when.

7. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

The same goes for us. I couldn't agree more!

8. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Dd will be upgrading to the Revel in a few days and we LOVE the integrated CGMS. (One of the reasons I went with MM pump after swithching from Cosmo 2 years ago was so that she could have one unit.) I was very concerned about her keeping track of the Omnipod's pdm, so I never considered it as an option.

Even having her carry the Guardian unit around for a few days a few weeks ago annoyed her. Dd carries everything on her in a pouch or double pocket SPIbelt -- her meter, strips, clicker, pump, so I try to streamline where posisble.

We've never tried another CGMS so I can't compare accuracy, but the MM is accurate for us, as long as that initial calibration is done according to guidelines. That is key.
    Good luck with your choice!

9. Stacia

Stacia Approved members

You probably know but this summer omnipod and dexcom with merge and the omnipod device (delivers boluses, meter and CGM device will be an all in one). It is about 2 inches by 4 inches.