- advertisement -

Need Help preventing Lows

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jackie H, Dec 12, 2009.

1. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

It almost sound like the basals are are too high. You stated in another thread you have a cgms, I would recommend that you hook it up, and watch for the trends so you have a better understanding when its happening. You can also watch for the trends, treat before your you go to low, and adjust basals from there.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

I just want to suggest that soup, ice cream, and cheese, are difficult foods to deal with. The soup may or may not have much substance to it, may have pasta in it that is a problem for some people, may have beans in it that may be late digesting, and the ice cream and cheese are also late digesting foods. Perhaps you could try eating some quicker digesting foods like a sandwich for lunch and maybe some fruit or something for a snack? What do people think? Also I agree, your basals need to be adjusted and for you to suspend your basals for the night. Let us know how you are doing. With lows that low and persistent your basals really need to change.

3. Jackie H

Jackie H Approved members

OK - thanks everyone, I will back the basals off starting at Noon rather than 2 and will also set a Temp Basal for tonight. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I see the Endo on Monday so I am hoping they will do more tweaking then as well. What should I be asking about, looking for, when it comes to this gastro - whatever it is :confused: Could this also be the cause of my iron deficiency that led to Iron IV's for 5 weeks, they were horrid! First week, I got so sick I laid on the floor from 6 pm - 3 am, next week I got infection in the IV site, 3rd week had a reaction at the hospital, 4 and 5 went beautifully but still took 4 hours out of my Friday to complete.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

have you ever been checked for Celiac?

5. Jackie H

I do have a CGMS and all the supplies I just HATE IT! Might have to pull it out of the closet and dust it off. :p

6. Jackie H

No to Celiac, what is it?

7. Jackie H

Just did some research on Celiac - it does not look fun.. :mad:

8. Nightowl

Nightowl Approved members

Because you have been diabetic for more than 30 years and are an experienced pumper, and because you were also experiencing the lows off the pump, it sounds like you are suspecting a problem other than basal problems. To be sure, I would confirm your basal settings, but not through hit and miss adjustments. I would do fasting basal tests - the only accurate way to test basal settings - and be done with it. I also hope it isn't gastroparesis. I am just brain storming possibilities that are consistent with your symptoms. Iron-deficiency anemia also often accompanies gastroparesis due to digestion and absorption issues. The main cause of gastroparesis is neuropathy, or nerve damage, to the vagus nerve caused by high blood sugars over a long period. This affects the nerves controlling the release of stomach acids and enzymes as well as the muscular contractions of the stomach. This condition is not uncommon in long term diabetics. Also, it doesn't have to occur after every meal. Gastroparesis causes blood sugars to be totally random, punctuated with severe hypoglycemic events. Apparently, you simply never know what you will get. Your Endo should examine your blood glucose patterns. You could request an R-R interval study to test the functioning of your vagus nerve. This is a non invasive test, much like an electrocardiogram. There are other more complex diagnostic tests. Also, if you have any other signs of neuropathy, such as numbness in your toes, gastroparesis is more likely. I would tell your Endo that you feel this is a real possibility and that you want to be evaluated for this condition. Because the cause of gastroparesis is nerve damage, the only true "cure" is long term normalization of blood sugars so that the nerve can heal. Once your doctor diagnosis gastroparesis, I have read that there are various medications that can help control some of the symptoms. I have also read that different foods can be more or less of a problem. I hope this is helpful.

9. Jackie H

Very Helpful, Thank You

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

Nightowl, I was just wondering what it meant in your signature:

Low Carb Lifestyle/management

Target 83

11. Nightowl

Nightowl Approved members

Sooz, I will PM you so that we don't hijack the thread.

12. Toni

Toni Banned

The 24 and 32 are huge drops. Since on one day's drop you had no bolus insulin working since 9:56am this is a basal issue. This could ALSO be a bolus issue in addition, but it is definitely a basal issue. I would lower the basals substantially. If 12pm to 6pm is your usual basal time slot, and it has always been flat, I would lower the basals from 12pm to 6pm. However we have different basals (higher) at 3, 4, 5 and 6. I think a lot of people will need a 3pm to 6pm basal setting higher than the 12 noon to 3pm. You, basically want to come up to a BG basal of about 100 which is a 75 point increase SOMEWHERE between the hours of noon and 6. I would first immediately lower the noon to 6 basal to 1.3, don't eat tomorrow after breakfast (have a decent breakfast to tide you over but low fat). Take blood sugars 12noon, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm and 5pm. Do not treat highs under 250 and record. You will then be able to see when you rise and drop. If you have a slight low, go back and decrease basals down .50 further two hours prior from the drop and treat the slight low with juice or milk to bump your BS up to 100 and continue basal test (such as low of 60 at 2pm, 8 grams of fast sugar to bring BS up to 100 and reduce basals down .50 noon to 2pm). You will probably find yourself dropping in the next two hours (as it is basal-related and it takes basal 2 hours to take effect). No matter, because you are testing every hour anyway. Keep treating to bring BS to 100 and continue basal test. I would be interested to see if there was a basal rise anywhere from 2pm to 6pm. That 1.45 may be a good basal from 3 to 6p but way too high from 12 to 3p. The reason I may sometimes basal test this way is who has the time to every day start the basal test all over again. And very frustrating to the PWD. By testing every hour and just giving enough carbs for a slight low to bring BS up to 100 you can get a pretty good idea. A low of 50, I always now go back to when my basal time period started and reduce basals. Once you get an idea of your general basal pattern, you do not always have to basal test; in fact, it is difficult to basal test as many times as she needs changes. BUT, as someone who has had D for many years, you definitely need to try cgms. I do not think controlling the drops and highs in your blood sugars are necessarily going to be as simple and straightforward as how parents or caretakers of children do it. I think, having D for many years, it is possible there are more problems with the swings in BGs. Your BGs may be more difficult to control. So many parents here say there is no basal pattern, these swings are extreme and changes day to day. If that is the case, only cgms can help you. And this is only my personal opinion but you can look at the posts about the alert dogs and investigate these dogs if interested; I would not rule that out either.

13. Jackie H

Thank you, I wil try this today and post results later.

14. Flutterby

My daughter has celiac and before she was diagnoses it cause huge, out of the blue, lows.. we had to go from prebolusing to feeding her and ONLY doing corrections at the 2 hour mark, and those had to be 1/2corrections most of the time.. Celiac will effect absorbtion if its the villi in the small intestines are killed off (as in my daughter's case.).

How was your night last night?

15. Jackie H

Last night went well.
    9:30 100
    10:30 62
    11:15 126
    12 am 137
    1 am 156
    this morning at 8 71
    now 86

16. Flutterby

Glad to see that! Did you have any active insulin between 9:30-10:30 when you dropped into the 60s?

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

Just checking in from last night as well - glad your nightitme #'s were so good and I hope your day today, with the basal changes, goes well!

18. Jackie H

Yes I bolused 1.5 to cover ice cream I was eating... :D

19. Jackie H

what an awesome A1C number your son has...

20. Flutterby

makes sense.. gotta have that icecream. :D