- advertisement -

need help or advice on training a service dog

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom in new mexico, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Mom in new mexico

Mom in new mexico Approved members

Hello everyone I am new to this site and glad to have found this site. I have Luke a 10 year old type 1 with down syndrome. He has been fortunate enough to have a therapy dog at school that belongs to his teacher that alerts his hander that my son is low or high in his blood sugars. This will be their last year together. I have been looking for a service medical dog that could help us at home as well as school. Too make a long story short our teacher got us a chance to purchase a chacolate lab pup that is a cousin to the therapy dog at school. He arrives on Sept. 5th. I am still not sure what to name him since he will have such a special job. I need anyone that knows of any type of training I could get for daibetic awarness in New Mexcio. I am going to do all the training of this service dog with the help of this trainer. She and I wanted to train our pups to be medical service dogs that can alert us of my sons lows and highs. He is very brittle and needs 1:1 24 hours a day. Any advice will be greatlly appreicated. I noticed many of you are trying to do the same thing I am going to attempt. Please share your input, information, or just how it is going with your service dog helper.

2. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I recommend that you obtain basic obedience training to begin with. You want your dog to pass the "Good Canine Citizen" test. Google that phrase. Also you can find a few groups on Yahoo by searching for service dog training.

Their are several books (I don't have mine nearby for titles) that I got by searching "service dog training". Buy them from half.com or amazon.com for the best prices.

When your child has a high or low, rub their face with a sock or something and keep that item in a ziplock bag. Now you have a sample of for training for the "scent" to alert.

Google - service dog training - you'll find a fair amount of info.

I will try to post a follow up after church today.

3. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

service dog training

we are in the process of training a diabetic alert dog. My daughter, 15 yo, has a British Lab puppy who is now alerting to lows and highs very successfully. I would love to help you with any info we have . . . but today is not the best day for me - and i have Dr appointments tomorrow for my kids.
    for starters:
    books I would recommend for basic obedience help : anything by Karen Pryor or Pat Miller. these authors both focus exculsively on POSITIVE dog training methods which is definitely the way to go.

for service dog (specific) help: contact Liz Norris (http://www.pawsibilitiesunleashed.org/) Ask her if she can get you a copy of her service dog training book. she has been a TREMENDOUS resource for us.

To begin to introduce "low scents" : save 'low scent items" (t-shirts, socks, etc) from when your child is low. Place these items in ziploc bags and save them in your freezer. Also, you can get cotton pads to wipe out your child's mouth or to have your child SPIT on when they are low. these items should also be placed in ziploc bags in your freezer.

We can talk more about WHAT to do with these items . . .you can send me a Private Message and I'll be glad to help you.
    Abi's dog is INCREDIBLE . . . and there are others on this site who are doing the same thing. You might try sending PM to mbertness or KatieJane'smom or soulsfr
    all of these ladies are currently working with an alert dog for their child.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!:)
    rachel

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  4. Mom in new mexico

Mom in new mexico Approved members

Thank you so much

Thank you so much for all the help. I am getting excited seems like my son is going to name him Chocolate Chaco. I am so looking forward to his arrival. I will post how we are doing thank you again.