- advertisement -

Need help on dosing for albuterol

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, Feb 24, 2010.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I haven't had real high BG's when John had been on it before but he is going into the high 300's and 400's this time. I am going to do a site change tonight when he goes to sleep (tummy site so I have to wait til he is sleeping)so that I can at least rule that out. I'm not sure if it is the site because before he started the breathing treatments his numbers would come down pretty easily today. Now I am having problems with BG coming down.
    I don't know if I should just do corrections. I have never done a temp basal so I don't know what I should do.

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

In my opinion, I think it is time for you to call the endo - there is lots going on and you need to handle this correctly

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I just did a quick search of the forums for "albuterol" and a few of your own old threads came up. Maybe you could revisit those, as well as the others and see if any of the advice helps. Some people saw spikes (including you) and some didn't. Are you seeing the spike right after giving it to him? It could also be that he's fighting pneumonia again.

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Wish I could help you out we use albuterol but haven't seen any spikes with it. Hopefully it will be the site.

5. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

I do not know what to tell you with the albuterol. When Deacon is on it, he goes low. I would change the site and possibly call the endo today if nothing else has changed.

--Sara

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

William has used albuterol MANY times and there is no effect on his blood sugar.

However, an asthma attack puts a lot of stress on the body and his blood sugar can rise from that. It can also rise if the asthma is triggered by illness - like a very bad cold.

Regardless of how he is getting there, obviously though his blood sugar is running high so it needs to be treated. I would talk to the pedi endo again about what is causing it.

7. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

How did John do with the site change? Did his BG come down? Wendi uses albuterol to control asthma during activity, but I've never seen it affect her BGs. I hope everything is getting better.

8. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I have found with Albuterol that Kaylee goes high after the first couple times using it and then when her body gets used to it again we level out ... usually I do a correction since it does not last long but I would call endo. Seems like it is always something huh?

Crystal

9. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

John woke up as soon as the site went in. THen he went right back to sleep. The albuterol is making his BG rise and it is coming down better with corrections since I changed the site.
    John's ARNP that I usually talk to is no longer seeing patients, she went to a different division of All Children's and the one that is on call I don't like her very much, she makes it sound like what you are doing is completly wrong and you have no idea what you are talking about.
    They only have John on the albuterol for 4days as long as he is getting better.