- advertisement -

Need help if anyone is awake

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MikailasMom, Jun 16, 2010.

1. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I posted earlier about a high BS that diabetes camp left her with but now she is stuck and I cant get her down!

447-277 bolused
    610-87 ate 55 carbs bolused per norm
    819-110 bolused for 22 carbs per pump settings (goal changes to 150 at 8 pm)
    915 189 stomach starting to hurt
    956-255 bolused
    1052 262 and .5 ketones, bolused

I know its hard to stack insulin on a pump but do i just keep bolusing? All corrections have been 1 unit or less. Thanks!

2. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

have you done an infusion set change and cartridge change? I would start there. My daughter was stuck last night so I changed her set and gave half of what the pump wanted me to give because it asumed there was IOB. She started going down faily quickly after that.

3. MikailasMom

we did a site change right before she started going high, I wonder if we have a bent cannula? Would we see that sharp of rise that quickly? Thanks

4. BeerMargaritaMom

did she eat pizza or some other high fat pasta like food? that will almost always spike my kids unless I plan for it with a combo bolus. A bent cannula might be the problem and I would say that the spikes would be that fast if no bolus was received after eating - although the ketones would be a mystery.

5. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

It is possible. I would play it safe and do another site change. Also, keep in mind that ketones need insulin to go away. You may end up needing to give more of a correction when all is said and done.

6. MikailasMom

We had chinese, did a 10/90 combo bolus over 3 hours but bolused with old set before we ate. Its the same combo we always do but this has never happened anyother time.

7. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

i would give a correction by syrenge then probably do a site change and just keep rechecking

8. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I'm not good at giving advice but I know from John (a lot younger though)that chinese makes him go high even with an extended bolus. I have found that I have to do two of them (still working on that). I would start with a site change again. I am still trying to figure out when his sites will need changing.

9. MikailasMom

Thanks everyone! I just changed her site b/c she went up another 26 points. Kinda sad that our first attempt at an alternate sight besides her tummy ended this way. She asked for one on her arm and she just said that she will NEVER try anywhere else again. Bummer!

10. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I would probably do another site change. If Elly has a kinked cannula, she will start to rise pretty quickly from the lack of insulin. It's possible that could be the problem and she is only getting partial doses.

11. BeerMargaritaMom

curious - was the cannula bent?
    usually if we have a bent cannula you can see the indentation of the cannula.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

We very often do a syringe injection before changing pods. If a shot doesn't do it we change pods. We do, usually, ignore IOB when giving the shot though since we assume the insulin isn't getting into the system - we have a CGMS so we can afford to be somewhat aggressive.

13. 22jules

22jules Approved members

It could be that her basals need to be increased. I find that if corrections don't seem to work than her basals need tweaking.

If she is still high at her next check--you could run a temp basal --I'm not sure how animas does this--I would run a 130% temp for 3 hours along with a correction.

14. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

I find that too... I just recently changed the basals substantially and am beginning (other than right now)to see better numbers. :)

Hang in there!

15. MikailasMom

her cannula was bent, is this common in arm sites? did I put it in the wrong spot? I put it towards the back of her arm, her arms arent very fatty, could I have hit muscle? Sorry for the questions. Thanks

16. Brendan's Mom

Brendan's Mom Approved members

Just wanted to say hang in there:(, i wish i could help but we are mdi. i am sure someone with more pumping knowledge will help you.:)

17. MikailasMom

so I have rechecked 2x since site change she is still in the high 200's bolused recommened .9 and 1 unit respectively with no change in bg. Called endo says to call back in 2 hours if she is still stuck. grrr i hate diabetes!:mad:

18. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

How are you going now? I think it could still be the Chinese food but I can't work out the time difference between NZ and US. Its probably a combination of both the site and dinner. Will you get any sleep tonight? :cwds:

19. MikailasMom

probably not but there is always tomm night :)

20. Lauren C

Lauren C New Member

This has happened to us and we do a site change and ditch the insulin and use a new bottle.