- advertisement -

need help/ideas for allergy to numbing cream

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Meghan'smom, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

Hello everyone.
    Meghan seems to have developed an allergy to numbing cream. At first I thought it was the adhesive doing it but I tried a pod and sensor change without it and no itch. Her itch is pretty bad. I even put benadryl on her skin before the site goes in but no luck. I know the obvious thing would be not to use the numbing cream but site changes are so anxiety ridden for her that the numbing cream helps calm her mind. I have tried ice before but it really doesn't do much. I probably could get away with it for the omnipod but definitely not dexcom. We did it once and she was hysterical. I never want to see that tear stained face again because of something I did.
    Has anyone else have this issue? If so what did you do? I appreciate any help at all.
    Thank you.

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

What about spraying the Benedryl BEFORE the Emla?

3. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Have you tried numbing it with ice?

4. Meghan'smom

Connie, that's pretty sad that I didn't even think of that. I always put on Benadryl after not before. I will try it that way. Thank you for helping me.
    Michelle, I did try numbing it with ice. I could get away with it for a pod change but the sensor change hurt her so much.
    Speaking of Emla I put it on her for 50min-1 hour but she can still feel it. She is not completely numb. If I left it on longer would it make a difference or would it start to wear off anyway?

5. Toni

Toni Banned

I would talk to an allergist. I am afraid you are going to have to use ice in the meantime. Sometimes ice is too cold initially. You could start with a bag of frozen peas to start numbing then move on to the icepack. I would have another person present when doing a site change to engage her in conversation and distract her. You can use a distraction technique like rubbing another area of her body .... sensory distraction.

6. chammond

chammond Approved members

I'm dealing with some skin allergies myself lately. Maybe try to give her a dose of zyrtec of claritin earlier in the day, put on the benedryl cream, then the numbing cream. I don't know if it will help, but I know the itching can be miserable. I hope you have some luck with this, and if so let me know. Right now we don't use any numbing cream because logan doesn't fuss, but eventually he may. He has sensitive skin like me, so bet he will have issues with it also. Good Luck

7. Meghan'smom

Toni, thank you but we have done that and the ice and distraction doesn't work. She is way too anxiety ridden. It's pretty bad for her. I would never imagined her anxiety to it would go on this long.

Chrystal, I will give that a try along with putting the benadryl before the Emla. Itching is awful. I feels so bad for her. It even continues after it all comes off.

I appreciate the help and ideas. I wish I could make it easier for her. Our kids have enough to deal with.

8. chammond

chammond Approved members

I was at the dr the other day for itching from an allergy to some OTC medication I took earlier this month. She gave me a sample of Xyzal. It is a prescription allergy medication. I had been itching terribly for 3 weeks and after taking it I felt better within about an hour. I didn't fill the rx because my co-pay was over $90, but maybe your insurance is better! I was very happy with it. She said it is a lot like zyrtec without any drowsiness. Just a thought!

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There is than one type of numbing creme. I know there is one that is over the counter and another where a prescription is needed. I would try another brand.

10. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We have tried two different brands of the numbing cream. One came in a yellow box, the other in a blue box. The yellow one she reacts to, the blue one, she does not. Go figure. They both seem to have the same ingredients, but maybe something in one of the preservatives or something.

Anyway ask your pharmacist if you can switch brands. You may need a new script from your endo.

Also, we put Ava in the tub and really wash off the emla with soap and water before putting on the Dex. If she's only wet for about 10-15 minutes it still works fine.

Good luck!

11. Diana

Diana Approved members

My son developed an allergy to EMLA. With him, it was more like the cream scorched his skin where it was in contact with it, and it was very painful hours later. We switched to LMX4 and have had no problems since then. The bummer is that insurance won't cover the LMX4 since it is over the counter - even though we have a prescription for it.

His allergist compared the ingredients for the EMLA and LMX4 and said that it is very likely that the part he is allergic to in the EMLA is the prilocaine (one of the main ingredients).

12. Meghan'smom

Thank you all for the good advice. It is nice to have different ideas to try.