- advertisement -

Need help from parents!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Cardonea1, Jan 24, 2014.

1. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hi it's great that you are looking for better ways to assist children with diabetes. As for my wishlist......I agree with the light to help us parents who have to adopt ninja mode at night to do the test without waking our child by turning on the lights, also an ergonomic design would be great, my son (10 years) doesn't like the feel of some tests, doesn't like to have to push the button too hard either, anything that is as pain free as possible would be great, again so they don't wake at night, we have recently changed monitor to the Insulinx as it uses so much less blood, this has really helped for those times when he pricks and doesn't get enough blood with other monitors, and has to repeat the test. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

2. coni

coni Approved members

In addition to everything listed, it would be great if the meter would automatically text the blood sugar to phone numbers you enter.

The light is important for nighttime testing - light for both the display and to guide you when getting the blood. I wouldn't need to always carry a flashlight to test. Also, I think the display numbers should be large. I like the idea of spoken numbers too. (A meter like this would be great for both kids and older people.)

It would be nice if the strips were either automatically loaded or dispensed. Spilling a container of strips stinks.

3. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

This is exactly what my husband said, an IR BG meter...that is the only improvement he feels would really make BG checks improved.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

^^^This. Most of the ideas posted here already exist in different meters. Skins, lights, slim body, text to phone, strip cartridges. Bigger issue is insurance coverage for the various meters.

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

A non-invasive meter would absolutely be the key. I've never known a child to be afraid of having his temperature taken. So - take away the pain, take away the scary.

And, based upon nothing but gut instinct, I think every insurance company in America would jump all over a stripless meter - even if that meter cost $1,000. It would not only save on total cost, it would eliminate appeal headaches for more strips and reduce fraud (resale of strips).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

This ^^^^^. I'm sure it's no easy feat or it'd be done already, but it frustrates me that a person can just slip their finger into an OTC oximeter and know within seconds how much oxygen is in the blood, but it can't be done for sugar. I suspect (hope) we'll be looking back in 5 years or so shaking our heads at the crudeness of the finger-stick methodology.

7. milly229

milly229 New Member

My son is 4 and has had T1 since he was one. He soon got used to blood being drawn from his finger; his pen has settings to adjust how far the needles comes out, so it is not too painful and we can change the settings as he grows. Definitely like the idea of a light that can be used for the nights us parents are half asleep trying to take bloods. Also the handset doesn't look child friendly, a handset with a child friendly design would be nice. The design of the carry bag for finger stabber/handset and strips, means the front cover of the handset rubs on the pen and makes the front of the screen peel away, obviously the handset can be turned to face away from the finger stabber, but people do not always remember to do this. Good luck with your research :)

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Fingers are crossed :glee:

9. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Hi, interesting thread. I am reading a book at the suggestion of my 11 yo son. (Glad he didn't read - some foul language :) It is "Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring" by William Lee Dubois. I highly recommend it, and I'm only at 41% on the Kindle version.
    I have asked my son what it is he might fear about testing, and of course, it is the poke, though he readily does it everyday without complaint, he is 11 years old, not a toddler who might be more fearful.

I recommend the book because it made me think about your question - using the words "monitor" and "meter". We use both a meter (fingerstick) and a CGM (continuous glucose monitor). We are new to everything, in full disclosure. The book, however, compares fingersticks to black and white still life photographs, and CGM to watching color TV. Both have troubling accuracy. So far, he seems to be saying though that we are all focused on numbers, specific "good" numbers, whereas we should be focused on the overall picture, the overall ups and downs.

I've seen this alluded to before: that we are often focused on A1C when you can achieve this with very high highs combined with lows, and a more stable BG with moderate highs and lows would give more long term health protection.

So yes, less invasive (I've seen an ear clip that supposedly can read BG through the ear lobe.) So is this pie in the sky? I want an embedded chip that reads BG continuously with an improved accuracy :) say 5%. Okay, 10. I want it to read out on a pump pdm, or better yet, an iPhone with a built in pdm. It could be embedded with local anesthesia. It needs to be able to send the signal more than 20 feet (so I can monitor him in bed).

The thrust of the thesis seems to be to make it easier for children? Best way would be to find a way that they don't have to do it.