- advertisement -

Need Grocery Store Help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

I am going to the store again tommorrow for the 4th time since Makaela was diagnosed two weeks ago! At this rate I am going to go broke! I have been buying her the following things....but need some help finding a more afforable meal and snack plan.

Fish Sticks
    Chicken Nuggets
    Natures Own Wheat Bread
    98% Fat Free Turkey
    100 Calorie Snack packs (which are two dollars a box and contains 6 packs)
    Diet 7up
    String Cheese
    Carb Freedom Yogart
    Crystal Light and Bottled water
    Peanut butter crackers
    Slim Jim Beef Jerky
    Baked Cheetos
    French Fries (only give her 20 and its 19carbs)

This is all my child has been eating for over a week since she was released from the hospital. Anyone have any suggestions? I need to be able to send the stuff to school because i dont trust the lunch line.

2. Norajane

Norajane Approved members

I read your previous posts today and hang in there. The first few months are so rough. The thing is that she can eat what she was eating before. You don't have to go broke. There is just a big learning curve on how much and when.
    If your looking for more low carb stuff you can do

Sliced veggies with ranch dip
    There are some good low carb/high fiber bagels out now.
    (try to remember that fiber is your friend)
    w/ Cream Cheese
    Hard-Boiled Eggs
    Rolled up deli meats

Just give yourself time to learn..we all know how hard it is.

By the way the morning highs are very common in kids they call it "the dawn phenomenon" (sp?) I always have problems with Mia's morning numbers. Hang in there. Keep posting.

3. pumpingdaughter

pumpingdaughter Approved members

I recently found that Minute Maid makes water pouch drinks that are only 2 carbs. The Capri brand has a drink pouch also but are higher in carbs. Hang in there with the food!
    Bonnie, mom to Ella age 4 dxFeb.04 pumping animas

4. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

This is the funny thing...Normal sugars scare me! Is that crazy? I am so used to her being high that when I see a 95 or 115 I am scared she is going to bottem out! I let her go to church tonight, as she used to always do before the D, and I almost cried when I dropped her off because I was scared she was going to bottem out cause she was 119 when I took her.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

What kind of insulin is your daughter on? It sounds like you're buying a lot of low carb stuff, which is fine, but you don't need to buy that stuff if you don't want to. There are some special things I buy -- like Crystal Lite -- but string cheese and lite yogurt and whole wheat bread I buy anyways. Don't go broke!! Just buy what you normally do.

I subscribe to http://www.savingdinner.com which is an AWESOME website for menu planning. It's not diabetic related, but basically they send you 6 dinner menus with side dishes a week with an entire grocery list that is broken up by category. It makes it so much easier to go grocery shopping only once a week, have a healthy dinner on the table every night, and not go broke!! Okay, I'm done with my plug for the website ;)

Good luck!

6. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

We do the lunchable's ( small ones with meat, crackers and a snack) WE buy them on sale for $0.99 each. and she gets an apple and a juice box.. its great, cheap and easy to carb out for hte school nurse... SHE loves it

kool-aid jammer 10's and minute maid 10's have great 2 carb juice boxes, capri sun has a 9 carb one.

I AGREE with the prev post, dont go broke, and dont change what you ahve done in the past.. YOu need to make life as normal as possibel and do not make your life around diabetes, make diabetes fit around your life. That was and still is one of the best piece's of advice i was given when charlize was in the hospital...

Also if she is old enought to test herself, great.. I know you will be worried when she is out an about., have her carry a few glucose tablets with her just in case

7. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

What kind of insulin is your daughter taking? If she's doing the MDI with Lantus/Log, you really don't need to change her diet much, if at all. Just cover the carbs with the Log.

If it's NPH and/or a prescribed diet, you may need to buy pre-packaged foods for a short period, for your own sanity!

Learning to carb count and figure out the whole diabetes thing at first is sooooo overwhelming. Hang in there!

8. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

For snacks I get foods that are easy to count like Teddy Grahams (1=1g), Gold fish (usually 3=1g), grapes (1=1g), etc. When I am really organized I'll come home from the store, wash the grapes and count out 15 into each snack bag and stick them back in the fridge. All she has to do is reach in the fridge and grab a 15g snack. I also shop for snacks that are prepackaged at 15 g of carbs (or close to it), like Gripz. Whenever possible I try to let her eat some of the stuff her friends are eating but I check labels to make sure there is no Trans Fat, and I try to minimize saturated fats whenever possible. As others have said, string cheese and deli meat are standards in our house.

9. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

It gets easier. :cwds: After diagnosis Adin could eat more than me and his dad combined. His appetite was huge (scary and comical huge when seeing a toddler growl for more food). It was his bodies way of balancing out. I have since seen others comment on their children's humongous appetite after diagnosis.

I remember the dietitian telling me not to hold back the food. Instead to try to steer it to healthier choices low carb or not when needed. In time things would balance out and things would become second nature. Insulin regimens change and carb counting becomes automatic. She was right on most accounts.

Good Luck.

10. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

It sounds like you are doing a lot of packaged food. Is that for the carb count? Do you normally buy low fat turkey stuff, or is that so she can eat a lot of it for free? We did a lot of low fat meats and cheeses in the beginning, and a lot of packaged stuff. If those are your reasons, and those are not normally what you eat I's suggest buying a few sets of mesuring cups and spoons, and a carb counting book, and a scale when you can afford it so that you can eat more like you did before dx. Diet changes make this disease stink worse then almost anything. Buy some pizza and enjoy. It is all trial and error, if you make an error correct it and move on. I am saying this because it took me a long long long time to realize this. I used to take every b/g to heart, and worry about her A1C every minute. Maybe you should talk to your DD about what she wants to eat, or buy what you want to eat, and get her input on snacks. If you have a carb ratio you can cover snacks like you cover meals if your DD wants the injection for it. Good luck. I hope you don't go broke from all of this, and I know you will all make it, you are doing really well. Jamie

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We have tried to stay away from too many processed foods, but of course we buy some each week. How about popping some popcorn in a pot on the stove at home and putting it in bags? (inexpensive) If your child likes cheese popcorn or flavored popcorns, you can experiment with spices or parmesan etc.

We also use an assortment of different fruits and try to find them at reasonable prices at local indoor flea markets or farmers markets. At home, frozen cherries are a fun snack for older children.

Cooking a turkey breast and slicing it thin (electric knife is great for this) is another way to get lean protein without the additives and expense.

You may want to take your child to the bookstore to look at children's cookbooks and get your child involved in the cooking process. Sometimes children really enjoy it and have fun with shopping for fresh ingredients and eating things they feel proud they've helped to make.

We look for crackers that are free of high fructose corn syrups and hydrogenated oils. Some of Whole Foods 365 brand are good. We count them out according to the portion size nutrition info on the label, and put them in zip loc baggies.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I remember my first trip to the grocery store after Abby was diagnosed. I broke down into tears. Never had such a simple thing been so overwhelming! I wish the nurse had come with me to guide me, telling me it was ok to shop like I always did! I was afraid of fruit (I don't know why, we were on mdi and carb counting...it's just some fruits are high in carbs). Also the dietician at the hospital told us to go low carb, which we weren't supposed to, Abby was only 4 and needs those carbs. The dietician at the clinic set us straight.

Have you met with the dietician yet? We were given a handy list of free and lower carb choices. Basically what you want to do is stay around the
    perimiter of the grocery store, sticking to fruits, vegs, protiens and dairy.
    Buying pre-packaged foods and low carb foods can break the bank. I ended up going back to the grocery store one night without the kids again and just really took my time and looked at labels. Turns out all along what I was buying really wasn't all that bad.

Here are some free or low carb ideas:
    pop corn. We have an air popper and I pop up a bunch for one day and snack the next.
    Rice cakes with peanut butter
    Orville Redenbachers popcorn cakes
    Fresh veggies and low fat Ranch dressing or salsa
    Baked Lays tortilla chips with salsa
    String cheese with a piece of ham wrapped around it
    Granny smith apple slice with Ham or turkey wrapped around the slices
    Nuts
    Hard boiled eggs
    Any of the 100 calorie snacks, watch for the hydrogenated oils though

Two great cookbooks:
    Americas Best Cookbook for kids with Diabetes by Colleen Bartley
    Cook up fun for kids with Diabetes by Gall and Ross
    Snack Munch Nibble book by Ruth Glick

The first few weeks are the hardest, but they do get better. Hang in there!

13. CarrieP

CarrieP Approved members

The MOST freeing advice was given to me by my doctor when I approached him about the same fear you have about lows. When you leave your daughter for a few hours, like at church, my doctor told me to just make sure that she has a good (large) snack, without a bolus, and it's OK if she is high for a few hours. AT the minimum, she will be safe, and she will have extra carbs in her to make up for the added activity she may experience. You can fix her numbers with a correction bolus AFTER the event.

He told me that my daughter would be safe and less at risk of going low as long as she was eating. This is true and, since then, I have left Rachel with a few babysitters and Church workers with the orders to just keep letting her eat and my comfort level has gone up...NOT too high, mind you *grins*...but at least I can get away for a few hours. I do have to correct for highs, some of the time. But, a few hours is not that big a deal in the "Big Picture"....

Hope this helped...
    CarrieP

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

I remember when we were going through this. Nathan was two and a half and I put everyone to bed the night he was diagnosed and emptied out all of the junk from my house. We don't eat a lot of junk anyway but it was not long after Christmas and not long before Valentins Day so grandparents had the kids pretty stocked!
    I went the next day to get my huge batch of prescriptions and some easy groceries.
    I think what would have been better would have to spend the money on a carb book, and a decent scale. I did eventually do that and meals and snacks went back to normal. It is hard on the whole family to have a member diagnosed and when even the food we eat changes it is very disruptive. There is a website that I found where I can enter a recipe and it will give me the carb count per serving (which is measured in grams and can be adjusted if desired).
    You are so new to all of this. Things will settle down and you will be able to spare the space in your brain to begin thinking about how to get food back to normal. I know at the start it seems like all you think about is food---what did she eat last, when, what should I give her next, when? That doesn't really end, but it doesn't occupy nearly as much life.
    You are doing well. Just keep hanging on and it will all start to come together.
    Lynn

15. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

When Teagan was D in July, I thought I had to get most items that are low carb. But people with D do need carbs, just like we all do so while I buy more proteins than I did before, I am back to buying what we like to eat. It is hard...I do sometimes fall into the "limit the carbs because I don't want to give another shot" mindset from time to time.

It does get easier over time as you become more comfortable. Please give yourself time to adjust...D is a big adjustment.

Teagan will be on the pump soon so it will make the whole process a bit easier, too! :D

16. A&Ds Mommy

A&Ds Mommy Approved members

Just wanted to let you know that Dylan is on Novolog and Lantus and I haven't changed anything that he was already eating. I just keep track of his carbs and make sure that he is getting the right amount for each meal and snack. Our endo team believes that we shouldn't have to feed to the disease, but feed to appetite, just keeping track of his carbs.

Actually there are times when I find I am looking to add something to his dinners to make sure he has enough carbs :)

17. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I think this is ok for now to do as we did the same thing when my 2 year old was diagnosed. In the beginning its alot easier to buy the prepackaged items to count the carbs. As you get more adjusted and know how many carbs and measurements of certain foods that you make you can slowly get rid of the prepackaged food little by little. For now this will probably be the easiest thing for you.

sugar free pudding, cheese & crackers, jif peanut butter individual cups, Minute Maid pouches - 2 carbs,

18. Emmasmommy

Emmasmommy Approved members

I just wanted to let everyone know that you really need to watch the amount of crystal light and other "fake" sugars that you give your kids. Our Endocrin at a childrens hospital said that its not good to give this to your children under 12 they dont know the long term efect that it has on the body in children. Another thing that he said was that children need cards and cals for devlopment and growth. Just something to keep in mind when going shopping. We feed Emma everything a "normal" 2 year old would have and just ajust her insulin acordingly.

19. newatthis

newatthis Approved members

Sugar Subsitutes

I pretty much let Karsyn eat what we eat...her only rule is she can't drink what everyone else drinks because it's usually normally Kool Aid or juices or sodas. Our rule is she can eat whatever she wants since she's on the pump (best thing that EVER happened to us) but she can't drink what everyone else does. I normally make Kool Aid with Splenda, which the kids can't tell the difference. But since the last post, someone mentioned that it can be harmful. Possibly. But if they can't have subsitutes, what can they have? Water gets old! She already hates diabetes anyway.

20. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We use icy seltzer with a splash of fresh juice. Pomegranate juice is tart, as is grapefruit juice. Orange juice and pineapple juice are sweeter. My son likes to mix the splashes but mostly it's just the bubbly water and ice.