- advertisement -

Need gift ideas for my 13 yo son

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I am racking my brain! And he is no help LOL. Im thinking phone cards for minutes and maybe some computer games for his lap top but I cant really think of anything else to get him and dont want to get him clothes for gifts. Any ideas would be appreciated:)

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

When we were at a loss, we sometimes would make up a homemade coupon book with things like: Good for one trip to the _______ store... etc. depending on what they liked to do. You could get him an amazon gift card and he could get books, video games, etc. Last year, we gave our 22 y/o a gift that was good for 3 concert tickets of his choice.

3. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We got to the point where it was difficult to get the boys something they would want and like...Here in NZ, there are huge sales from Boxing Day onwards for about a month, so we decided about 3 yrs ago to give the boys cash and they could get what they wanted.
    Maybe it's not as personal as I would like, but it sure saves getting it wrong!

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  5. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I'll second obtainedmists' coupon suggestion. I did that a couple years ago (coupon for extra 1/2hr at bedtime, coupon to pick dinner 1 night, coupon for extra 1/2 on curfew, etc) I worried the boys would think it was a lame gift - they LOVED it and have requested them as gifts since.

Although I'm not as fond of giving cash and gift cards (I want to give "real" gifts) - I'm getting over that because the boys love to get them. As they got older they started to really enjoy being able to have their own form of currency to do some indepedent shopping - makes them feel grown up. So I just put the gc's into large boxes and wrap them...that way I get my "gift" impression and they get their tiny cards. :p

6. sooz

sooz Approved members

Here is another idea. I just ordered these for several people on my gift list. Because of the recent high winds in So Calif, we were without power from Wed to Friday, and this is also earthquake country. It is a portable radio, flashlight combo emergency unit that is solar powered and hand cranked powered. Reasonable price and good reviews. I am doing all my shopping online this year!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QTXKB0/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

It also comes in various colors.

7. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

How about a digital camera. You can get an inexpensive decent camera for $50-$75. We bought our 15yo a Kodak easy share for $66 at Office Depot. Or, maybe a Swiss army knife. We bought our 10yo one for about $35 on Amazon.

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Subscription to his favorite magazine? Gift cards to various fast food places or movies or other places he may want to hang out with his buddies.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

My teen wanted a "Beats by Dre" headphones for his birthday last month (there are several price points but his was one of the cheaper ones). For him he usually picks out one really pricey thing and the rest of his gifts are small.

I think headphones, better cell phone, speakers, video games (if they play), itunes gift cards have worked for us.

Of course I'm at a loss at the moment for a Christmas present for him. :p

11. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

All my 11 yr old has talked about is a ipod touch. Only thing on her list!

12. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

does he like sports? last year, my parents got me tickets to my fave team, and it was awesome, because its a great experience, and ideas for other relatives could be based off of that (my grandma gave me a camera and ten dollars, stuff like that)
    oh, and of course, lots of diet soda for the game :D (@ the celtics game, they had cups with designs and were great keepsakes!)

13. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Does he like to read?

14. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Not sure if you are looking for big gifts or stocking stuffer type things, but...

magazine subsciptions
    gift cards for movie/game rentals
    mall bucks (not sure if every mall does this, but they are gc's that are redeemable in any store in the mall including the food court)

Telescope (especially since ya'll live out in the country--we barely live in the country and love ours--some are better than others, but if you do your homework you can get a good one for under a $100)

Microscope (again we love ours, and it isn't just for school, you can see some mighty cool stuff under there)

Night vision goggles (make sure they are for kids, so they will be affordable)

Chemistry/Science sets (my son is into computers, and a couple years ago I got him a robotic kit--he had to assemble it and once he put the battery in, he had made his own robotic car it was really cute--he is 16 now and he still makes sure it runs and fiddles with it until it does.)

3-D puzzle balls (not as easy as it looks to complete)

That's all I got for now, boy, you can tell I'm a homeschooler huh???

15. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Such great ideas! thank you all:) Harry doesnt like reading anymore but does like MAD magazine so maybe a subscription to that too. I think I will get him a gift card to Amazon and phone cards then some little things for the stocking.

It was fun when they were little cause I could buy lots of little things and wrap them all up so they could have fun unwrapping. When Steven was younger he loved the unwrapping best and was always looking for something else to unwrap:p

16. sooz

sooz Approved members

I'm with you! At one point in our lives, almost anything we bought in December got wrapped up and put under the tree, whether it was hair spray or food or tissues lol...:eek::D:p

17. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

I echo the digital camera suggestion, but make sure you get a durable case for it.

18. sooz

sooz Approved members

Ok, here is an off the wall one...how about a magic kit?

19. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

-tool set
    -tape measure
    -watch
    -sled/snow-tube

20. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

metal detector :cwds: