- advertisement -

need advice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ThreegrtKids, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreegrtKids

ThreegrtKids Approved members

just thinking

I was sitting in my yard earlier thinking about the last year or so and what things have happend that may have caused all of this. In August of last year my daughter had the coxsackie virus and than in october she started wetting the bed on and off and she had never done that before. I just thought it was from the stress of school and our dog passing away. But now that I think about it mabe it is all related. I am not sure yet that she does have diabetes mabe all this is just a random event. I am hoping for good news and will let you all know.

2. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I've been thinking of you.
    I'm sorry for the uncertainty. Did the dr give you a blood glucose meter to check?
    Can you ask him for a glucose tolerance test?

My son was dx'd after I took him to the dr for bedwetting---we caught it so early that he never had ketones or any other symptoms. I can't speak for others, but because we caught it so early for him, he had a very strong honeymoon where after a short while on insulin, he came off of it for a few months. Even now, over 3 years later, his pancreas still produces some insulin.

Keep us posted!!

3. ThreegrtKids

what now

I will be taking my daughter in to the doctor on Monday for a blood glucose check and might bring my ten year old son with me. For the first time in seven years he wet the bed and it was not just a little bit. Please tell me I am being paranoid! I feel like I am having a bad dream.

4. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

Ask for A1c

Every case is different however, this is mine: The boy started to wet the bed about 6-7 months before the full diagnosis. First a little, then all too often -we looked for the behavioral part of the deal, even went to a shrink-. Then the other symptoms started (hunger, thirst, tiredness, bad mood, and so on). Then the day arrived when his (former) doctor (after dropping the ball for a long while) got him to do blood work: A1c above 12 and BG (blood glucose) 500 and some. They sent us straight from the lab to ICU. A1c will tell if the BG has been consistently high for the last 3 months, and just right now ADA wants it as a diabetes indicator together with BG. But any old school pediatrician will tell you that bed wetting is all too often an indication of Type 1 diabetes. Other than trying to get a soft landing (start insulin before the child gets into ICU), no much can be done nowadays. Even before going to the doctor, you can get a discardable BG tester at Wal Mart (25$ or so at Pharmacy/Diabetes supplies) and some lancets to draw a drop of blood from the finger (many models) Wash hands before getting the sample, dirty hands show wrong values. The you can check fasting (70 to 110, that changes according to who) and 2 hours after normal meals (no more than 120-140). All the best for you. Ed2009.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I realize this is an older comment, but I wanted to say something for others who may stumble across this thread. Glucometers are not inherently difficult to use.. most come with very clear instructions, so even if you've *never* done it before, it's really easy to follow along to do a test, and with most meters, fairly difficult to do things "wrong", plus they've become increasingly inexpensive to buy.. a basic meter with 10 strips, lancing device, and 10 lancets is commonly less than $20 - some are less than $15.

9 years ago I started testing without being given ANY education.. on a Friday I was handed an RX for a meter and strips and told to test fasting and 2 hours after meals.. that was the only instruction I received.

I hope that Monday goes well for you.. and that you can at least get a definitive answer either way.. being in limbo is no fun.

6. ThreegrtKids

back from the doctor

Well we are back and now are even more confused than ever. The doctor said the test were inconclusive. The test that he did to check the levels over the last few months was 6.8. He said that it was borderline. He has set up an appointment with an endo for ths Friday. I don't know what the level should be so I don't know if I should be worried. The only thing I do know is that I feel like I am getting the run around from them.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Sorry, that's not borderline. That's a high A1c (ETA: relative to a person without diabetes). :( I believe a non-diabetic should be 5 or below. I would push for an earlier appointment, or if there are still ketones, go directly to the ER.

8. sam1nat2

That correlates to an average blood glucose of 164. In people without diabetes, average should be 80-100

Sounds like you have caught this early, which is good. Be persistent with the drs, she needs to be watched closely. I don't want to give medical advice, but she needs to be in a drs care who can and will help her!

9. ThreegrtKids

thanks to everyone!

I know that you all are bound to get tired of people like me asking question after question!! But since I am hanging in limbo here until Friday I thought I would ask just one more question How come the other day my daughter had moderate to large ketones and did not have a really high blood sugar vaule show up on the urine strip? The back of the bottle said that sometimes when the ketones are large the sugar part of the strip doesn't show up.Have you ever heard of such a thing? Anyways I don't want to overstay my welcome so I am checking out for awhile

10. sarahspins

You're not overstaying your welcome - I have a feeling you'll probably be back after Friday :(

As far as the ketones/sugar thing... I never had EITHER show up in my urine before I was diagnosed (and they were being checked, I was pregnant, so they did a dip test every checkup)... and my BG was in the 500's.

Part of the problem here is that unless you present in DKA a the hospital ER, most doctors are really at a loss for what to do with an early T1, how to diagnose, etc. I wasn't in DKA yet when I was diagnosed, and no one really seemed to know what was going on, even thought my blood glucose levels were VERY high.

11. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

Meters can be costly without a diagnoses - I suggest that you go to the doctor - best case you are out the cost of a co-pay, worst case you join the club and we will all be here to support you and your child.
    I explained away my sons syptoms for nearly a month - he was admitted with a Blood Glucose over 900. Luckily he was not in DKA, my duaghter however was admitted at only 254 and was in DKA.
    Going to the doctor is scary but definative.
    Prayers are with you.

12. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of here...

I've never used the combo ketone/glucose urine sticks, but I know that when they tested Tyler's urine for glucose the day of our dx, the dr. said that you aren't "supposed" to have any glucose in your urine (Tyler was topping what his machine would measure).

The large ketones along with glucose showing up in urine and a 191 BG test all combined is very concerning to me - I pray that you aren't facing a D diagnosis, but am fearful that it is coming very quickly. Too many BIG red flags...

I do know that urine testing for ketones actually "lag behind" timewise when compared to testing blood for ketones. Ketones show up and leave the bloodstream before they will show up/go away in urine - that is why you will see that lots of folks on CWD have blood ketone meters these days along with blood glucose ones.

Its several days from Friday - you need to watch carefully and if vomiting, lethargy, sickly/sweet breath, breathing issues or any other significant changes are noted, DON'T wait for Friday - go directly to an ER. DKA can set in quickly and is life threatening... don't mean to scare you, but with all those symptoms, you really need to know how important it is to act quickly if signs of DKA appear.

I would suggest calling the endo office that you have the appt with on Friday - ask to speak with a nurse, explain that you have seen glucose and large ketones when testing urine and ask her for the rundown of symptoms for DKA.

Is the endo a pediatric endo?

13. cheri

cheri Approved members

Go to the Doctor ASAP

I should have seen the signs. My ex-husband was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes during our marriage. I missed it. My 13 year old son was drinking tons of water & going to the bathroom constantly. He had not lost weight yet. My ex picked him up for a summer visit & drove 6 hours with our son in the car. He had to pee all the time. My ex tested him & he was type 1 diabetic. Your child can get very sick. Please go to the doctor. My son was in the hospital for 3 days.

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I second all of this. Especially the advice about calling the endo and letting them know about the ketones. My daughter wasn't in DKA at diagnosis, but she had large ketones and we had to stay in the hospital until they were gone.

I'll reiterate from my earlier comment: if she still has ketones, take her directly to the ER!

15. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I agree, call the endo she is going to see on Friday and let them know what it going on. I am really not sure why they are making you wait so long.

An A1C of 6.8 is high. My son ( who has D ) has an A1C on the low 6's.

I really do not mean or want to scare you, but please do not wait until Friday.

16. sarahspins

Yes, 6.8 is high.. ADA is recommending that an A1C over 6.5% be considered diagnostic.

17. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Thinking of you, any update?

18. ThreegrtKids

Hello

We have been at the endo all day. He did more blood work and taught us how to check her blood sugar with a meter. He feels we caught this early and that she will only need a small amount of insulin and that her pancrease will kick back in for awhile and she may come off the insulin for a month or so. He sent us home with a meter and wants us to record her numbers this weekend and call with them on Monday. I think my daughter is dealing with this better than I am she just takes it all in stride! This is a big shock to me because even though I knew it was D in the back of my mind I am still in denile. I can not even say the word without breaking down. I know it could be a lot worse and am glad that we caught it but it is still hard.

19. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I am so sorry for the diagnosis. Big hugs! We all know how you feel. Come over to the parents of type1 and post over there. There is a lot more traffic over there and a lot of really wonderful parents to help you on your journey.

20. sam1nat2

Sorry you have the official diagnosis.
    I speak from personal experience---having caught Sam's d so early made it that much easier to adjust.
    We started off on a small amount of insulin and then he did come off for quite some time. Even when he was not on insulin we did continue to test. It just made the transition easier for us. We learned about carbs, but didn't have carb ratios. We are now over 3 years in to this and he is still on a small amount of insulin for someone his size and age---we think he is producing some of his own still.

Like Judy said, come on over to the parents of type 1, its a very active board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.