- advertisement -

need advice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ThreegrtKids, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreegrtKids

ThreegrtKids Approved members

My seven year old daughter has had some concerning symptoms. She has been drinking to the point that her urine looks like water and she seems like she can't get enough. I asked the pharmacist at cvs and he said to buy the urine glucose strips. I checked her and it came back positive for glucose. Well about six hours later Ichecked again and it was negative. what would cause this? Anyways the thirst just seems to be constant and am not really sure what to do next. I don't want to go rushing to the doctor if it is nothing and end up looking foolish. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

You could get strips that test for ketones in the urine
    And you might also consider a blood glucose meter and test strips

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

If she is drinking a lot more than usual and peeing a lot more also, I would take her to the Dr and ask them to test her. Having those symptoms and having the urine strip show positive for glucose could point to diabetes. Sorry. It may not be that but the Dr is the best way to find that out.

4. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Uncontrolled diabetes turns into DKA, a very serious condition. I would not worry about appearing foolish if it saves a child's life. If she is lethargic, has stomach pains, vomits or starts breathing 'funny", I would rush her to the ER.

Another thing you could do is to buy a glucose meter at any drugstore. I think they come with 10 strips. Test your daughter periodically over the next few days and find out what her blood sugar is. Usually, the pancreas works sporadically for awhile before it shuts down, which may be why the glucose in the urine went away. A glucose meter is more accurate and only takes a finger prick.

Good luck. I hope she doesn't have diabetes.

5. ThreegrtKids

Thanks for the advice

I appreciate everyones advice and will check out the meters. I hope she is just drinking so much because of the hot weather and swimming so much but it such a dramatic difference to what she used to drink that it is hard to ignore. I will keep on top of it and will let you all know what comes of it. You all seem like really great people and your kids are lucky to have you.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Im with the rest of the gang, please take your daughter to the pediatrician. I hope and pray that its not diabetes but you need to know so you can start treating her if it is. Sending good thoughts your way

7. allisa

allisa Approved members

I would advise against buying a meter and strips....just take her to the doctor....why bother wasting time with home tests when a doctor's visit is what she needs ? Whenever in doubt...just go to the doctor.....

8. ThreegrtKids

thanks everyone

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who responded to my question. I know that many of you if not all of you have been taken advantage of lately and I am sorry that someone would abuse the use of this forum and the parents who make this what it is. In my book all of you are heros and your children are brave little warriors who have to fight this disease day in and day out. On another note I have decided to not purchase a meter as I am not trained on how to use it properly. My daughter has only had a couple of positve results and the rest have been ok. I will continue to be on top of things and if they get worse I will seek medical attention. Is there anything else that might explain the positive result? Thanks!

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Here's my suggestion---
    make an apt with your dr asap. On the way to the apt, give your dd a large sugary drink. If it is diabetes, there will be no doubt.

Often in the early stages of D the symptoms can come and go, they can also be explained by lots of activity, hotter weather, etc.

When the blood sugar is above a certain point, there is glucose present in the urine.

If she does have D, an earlier diagnosis is easier for all----often no hospitalization.

When my son was dx'd, he just wet the bed a few times, he didn't have the thirst or constant urination. We were able to preserve quite a bit of his pancreas function just by having him dx'd so early on.

Do not wait, things can go from mild to life threatening VERY fast. It is much better to pay for a visit and find out nothing is wrong than to have her end up in DKA and in ICU.

Please keep us posted.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Going to the doctor is better than buying a meter, but please go to the doctor. It's a simple fingerprick test, and diabetes can spiral out of control VERY quickly when undiagnosed. I hope it's not diabetes. Please let us know what happens.

11. maha

maha Approved members

I'm hoping it is not diabetes.

But one positive result about sugar in urines can lead to diabetes.
    The glucose goes to urines only if the blood sugar is above 1g80.
    You checked 6 hours later so if her pancreas still working a little and she ate nothing, her sugar could be less than 1g80 so you see nothing on urine test.

Does your positive result happen after she took lunch or eat something between 2 measurements ?

The best is to go and see your physician. You can not be fixed with urine test. It could be something else but you need to be fixed. If it is diabetes, it can not wait, she needs treatment.

The glucose can be due also to a minor illness of the kidney (That's the kidney the filter), I think it needs too a appointment with a physician.

Medical definition of diabetes:
    - The blood glucose measurement is above 1g26 twice on empty stomach (morning)
    or At any other time of the day the blood glucose measurement is above 2g

The hyperglycemia during day can be moderated and asymptomatic (in the beginning of the diabetes).
    We could observe a discrete weight loss and asthenia but the diabetic could feel well.

It is only for gly over 3g than other symptom could be observed.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  12. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I also suggest calling her doctor and bringing her in. My son was diagnosed in July and I dismissed his excessive thirst to the hot weather also. No harm in bringing her in, better to be safe.

Keep us posted.

13. ThreegrtKids

we will be going to the doctor

Hello, I have just started a new job and so that is why I have not been around. I have been keeping a close watch on my daughter and have checked her her urine a couple more times for glucose and ketones. Tonight I checked for the first time in two days and she had moderate to large ketones and only a small amount of sugar. I will be calling the doctor in the morning to set up an appointment. Is it possible to have small amounts of sugar and a lot of ketones? She is not breathing funny or complaining about stomach pains so I am not sure what is going on. Hopefully the doctor can tell us something! I will keep you posted!

14. sam1nat2

please don't wait till morning, she's had D symptoms and large ketones, the risk of DKA is too great to wait. Please take her to ER asap, her life could depend on this

15. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

If she is having large ketones I agree I would take her in tonight if you can. Things can go bad in a hurry.

Please let us know what the dr says.

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Hopefully you got an appt for today or the very near future (like tomorrow). You DO NOT want to wait until she's breathing funny or complaining about stomach pain.

17. ThreegrtKids

back from doctor

Hello, we went to the doctor today and they did a urine test that showed some sugar but no ketones today.They also pricked her finger and got a result of 191. They are going to do some bloodwork and see what that shows.So for now they are just keeping a close eye on her and want me to come in every few days for them to test her glucose level.They said we would know more with the bloodwork. They said they can not say that she has diabetes because her level was not over 200. I will keep you posted!

18. sam1nat2

fasting blood levels won't help either. Give her a high carb drink before you go in to the office. It will take away any doubt as if she has D, she will be well over 200.

19. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Glad you got her to the doctor! I'm sorry you have to deal with this - it's a scary time! We're here if you need us!

20. maha

maha Approved members

Great you have been to the Dr.
    Do as sam1nat2 says - 191 is too much close from 2

And if it is diabetes - she will be over 2 for the second blood glucose test.

Probably the pancreas of your girl is still doing his job not too bad

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.