- advertisement -

Need advice quick from (adult)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, Apr 29, 2009.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

today is the day to change John's site so he wanted to take a shower so I removed the other site and when he squeezed it a little bit of puss came out what should I do?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Call the endo for advice. Sounds like an infection and it may need antibiotics. Meanwhile disinfect it.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Just put some neosporin and a bandaid on it. If it turns red or gets bigger, you might need oral antibiotics, but other than that - his skin had just been pierced by something for several days, it needs a chance to heal

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Is it red or quite sore to the touch? If not, just keep an eye on it. He's probably fine.

5. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

He says i doesn't hurt and I just checked it again and it's only red where the little hole is but not around it. I called the endo and no reply yet.

6. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Willow just had the same thing . . .we put neosporin and some witch hazel (a little gentler than hydrogen peroxide) and then a bandaid. Pulled the bandaid off the next morning and it was almost gone. I think this is just one of the things we will have to "deal" with while we are pumping.

HTH
    Vicki

7. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

If you see increased redness, the area feels extra warm to touch, or if you have increased drainage, then it would merit antibiotics. Meanwhile a bandaid with Neosporin should handle it.

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

thats an infection :( he needs antibiotics.

9. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

Our CDE has us use a ballpoint pen to draw a circle around the bump/infection. If the infection get's worse you can tell based on the fact that it is getting bigger in circumference.

Good luck!

10. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Are you sure it was puss?
    Or was it watery, redish looking fluid?

11. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

A tiny bit of pink puss always comes out after the canula. If it is hotter than the rest of his body or sore to the touch it may be infected. Our Endo says that an infected site needs oral antibiotics if the redness around the site is bigger than a quarter, or if the hard little puss pocket (right around where the needle was) is larger than a pea. Oral antibiotics or not... put hot compresses on it and squeeze out what you can a few times a day coat with neosporin and cover. We draw a circle around it too, so we know if it is getting bigger or smaller. -Allison

12. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

the endo called and said to do what I had already done and to watch it there is nothing else coming out of it and now I really don't remember exactly what the color was it just scared me when I saw it I think it was a little pinkish.

13. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, its a little pinkish, again, because he had a hole in his body for 3 days. When you pull a site, you might also notice a little blood in the cannula. Again, pretty normal and happens a lot. Unless its bright red and inflamed, its perfectly normal.

14. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Are you sure it wasn't insulin leaking out? That happens to Carson if we take a site out right after a bolus.