- advertisement -

Need advice on recess and snack

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zapsmom, Mar 30, 2010.

1. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

We are on Spring break right now but after Spring break, Zoee who is in Gr. K will be starting to go outside for recess. Right up into now, her class has been inside for recess and had snack time. When they go back, the snack time is stopped so they can go outside with the other grades. I am a little nervious about this. So I guess I need advice on what I can send her to eat that is quick so she can play outside with her class. I think the school is going to allow Zoee to be taken out of class 5 mins before recess so she can have her snack. Her carb intake for her am snack is 40. I know that may seem high but anything less and she drops too low. Any suggestions will be great!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven has granola bars for snack usually they are about 17 carbs a piece for the ones I get so 2 of them would be close to the amount you need and quick to eat. Maybe a peanut butter sandwich would be have lots of carbs, made with whole wheat bread

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

What do you normally give her? I'm having trouble thinking up a carb-heavy mini snack. Yoplait makes a Thick & Creamy yogurt that has about 30g.

Are there changes you can make to her insulin regimen that would help reduce that snack?

4. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

What about a small banana which I believe is about 23 grams and a granola bar? Or how about a reduced sugar mandarin orange cup with some cheese or peanut butter crackers?

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sorry that she has to do 40g - that seems like so much for a little one to "have" to eat.:confused:

So the other kids are just giving up snack time all together? I was going to suggest that she be given a juice box to drink in the classroom to cover 15g then have a banana just before recess, but I can imagine that if the other kids are skipping snack entirely then that could become an issue.:rolleyes:

Little containers of sweetened apple sauce are about 25g
    Graham cracker sheets are about 12g
    Drinkable yogurt ?g
    Grapes
    Raisins

That's tough --- maybe she should be allowed to take her snack outside, sit with the teacher for a few minutes ( assuming she's not a slow eater), eat then play?

I really hate to see our kids have to come away from the group to manage their D, I hope you and the school can come up with a sensitive and effective solution.:cwds:

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

also if she likes yogurt yoplait light with half a 1/4 a cup of granola is from30-40 carbs maybe add a cookie to make it more?? doesnt take long to eat too......

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Wow, 40 grams seems like a lot for a snack. My DD is the same age, and her afternoon snack is between 15-20. In fact, I've rejected some granola type bars that were closer to 30, so you may be able to find some of those and with some milk that could bring you to 40.

8. KHM

KHM Approved members

Just wondering if you have a 504 plan in place for Zoee? If not, please ask to begin the process---D kids should be able to eat their snacks in the classroom to minimize their disruption of class time. I know it might seem like it would be really distracting to the other kids but actually, after the first bit of time, it really is much less disruptive to everyone and will keep Zoee from feeling so terribly different or "ill"...

9. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Thank you for your suggestions. I was trying to think of easy thing that she could eat fast(she is a slow eater at school) so that she could play with her friends outside and these suggestions are great. We have an IEP plan for her in place and she does have a para helping her as well as watching her. Not sure why they are taking her out of the room early so she can have her snack.:confused:Will have to ask next week why. Thank you again!

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Does she get checked out of the room before snack/recess? If that's not already part of the process, they may be trying to keep the other kids from wanting a snack as well. Taking her out a little early would allow her to catch up with them on the way to recess.

11. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

when our daughter was still in elemetary school she would just have a snack before recesss, it didn't matter if the other kids were having snacks or not. We included this as part of our health plan. I don't know what school division you are with but we are with LRSD.