- advertisement -

Need Advice on how to teach your child to check their bg

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tiera, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Christopher was checking his own sugar two days after diagnosis at age 6, almost 7. I would not have thought he shouldn't do it at that age. But then I knew almost nothing about T1D at that time either. I think he wanted to feel like he had control and he asked for the nurse to show him how to do it. The doctors and nurses in the hospital were impressed that he wanted to learn so quickly, but no one said he shouldn't do it.

I would definitely not ever force him to do it if he didn't want to, though. And if he came to me now at age 8 and said he didn't want to do his own sugar checks for a while, I would take them over.

2. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed when she was almost 7 and did her BG checks from the time she was in the hospital. She started her own injections soon after, as soon as we went to pens rather than a syringe. She is very interested in all things medical and I just know she is going to be a doctor. All of this stuff is fascinating to her. She has also wanted to insert the Dexcom sensor since day 1. Even if we do a nightime check, she doesn't want us to do it. She sits up and checks. We don't push her, but it's what she wants to do. Your son is really young, but I suspect one day he will just decide it is the day that he wants to do it. I definitely wouldn't push him. He's got a lifetime to be self sufficient.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son, now 20, was dx'd at age 3. He could check his sugar with supervision at about age 6. I waited until he had no problems reading the numbers - at about age 8 - before I let him do it unsupervised.