- advertisement -

Need advice on dealing w/a teacher

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Michelle'sMom, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

DD has only been to school 1 day this week + 2 class periods the following morning. For those following our situation, you understand why.

Michelle & I were talking about issues that came up during those 2 days. She told me that in her morning class, the teacher gave rewards to the students because everyone in the class had brought back all their parental consent/notification forms. According to Michelle, the teacher said she couldn't give candy to the class, so she was giving out vegetables. The reward was 1 Tootsie Roll candy for each student. When she came to Michelle, she said "sorry, you can't have any." Michelle was not offered an alternate reward.

I know what the nutrition laws at school are for my state. This is not a question about the legal issue.

I need to address this at a meeting with the school this morning.

How would you handle it?

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You need to just go over the basic points of T1 with the teacher. Your child can have candy, she just may not be able to have it at that moment. Maybe come to an agreement with your child that the candy needs to come home and worked into a meal. I would also let the teacher know how hurtful and demeaning this can be to a child, and it sends the wrong message to the other kids.

It bothers me that teachers give candy rewards. It really isn't needed.

3. Michelle'sMom

We'll suggest it. Thanks.

4. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I think the attitude of the teacher is important here. Did she say, "I'm so sorry sweetie, I can't give this to you." Or did she do it in a public way?

Given all the problems you've had with the school, this might be a good time to teach the teacher something about D, and get her over to your side.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess I am confused. She said she could not give out candy to the class but only vegetables. Then you say she is giving out a tootsie roll. :confused:

In general there are at least two ways to deal with treats in class. One is to let your child eat what the other kids are eating and cover it with insulin. The other is to have a stash of low/no carb treats that the teacher can give to your child as a substitute for the treat the rest of the class is getting. Another way, depending on when the candy is given, is to have it included in her lunch carbs and eaten at lunchtime. Your daughter is 11 and it is probably a good idea to get her input on how she would like to handle snacks in the class as well. In all cases, the teacher should be informed ahead of time what your wishes are. In this particular case, I would meet with the teacher(s) and explain how you would like treats handled in the future. I also think it is a good idea to get the teachers side of the story before making any kind of judgments. Good luck.....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  6. susan

susan Approved members

Let me just say that even though this doesn't help your situation, I am very happy that they are now classifying tootsie rolls as vegetables:D I should have no problem getting my veggie serving in now...

7. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

Kayle is to be offered and take any candy or snacks given at any time, If the school nurse is aware of such (and our teacher has been very good with giving the nurse a heads up ahead of time) then it is covered as per the packaging by the nurse. If not Kayle is instructed to bring such home where we will make our best efforts to cover whatever was given. She does not feel left out, and has been very responsible on not taking anything without our knowledge.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. In the past, we have had teachers tape candy to worksheets and the candy just came home with him. I usually sent in a box of small ziplock baggies to send treats home in - sometimes they counted with M&M's and then let them eat them! He chose if he wanted to go to the nurse or bring them home.

This year, our school adopted a policy of no birthday treats - you can donate a book to the class instead!

9. Michelle'sMom

We had a meeting with the school principal this morning. She had called yesterday & left a VM on my phone re: the candy incident. This morning she asked about it & we explained Michelle's version of what happened. Explanation was prefaced with a request that the teacher not be reprimanded.

The teacher called me this afternoon. She explained that she just didn't think. By the time she got to Michelle, she realized what she had done. She actually started crying when I told her what Michelle said about how it made her feel. I explained how important it is that Michelle not be made to feel different from the other kids. She assured me that she would have special rewards next time. She apologized & we discussed how we would prefer to handle school parties,etc.

Considering all the other events of the week, I felt it was a great, positive way to end it. We can only go up from here!