- advertisement -

Need advice from those older and wiser: Losing a friend because of diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think maybe when things calm down have your son talk to the boy. He can tell him that he can't help that he has diabetes, that guess what *IT SUCKS* and he wishes he didn't have it and didn't have to stop because of it. But, he DID have to stop BECAUSE he has diabetes and that he was more hurt that his friend didn't stick to the plan to stay together. Carson can even say something to the effect of "I would have stopped if you had a cramp, because I would have known you couldn't help that either" and see if they want to give it another chance. Having Carson acknowledge to his friend that it sucks for him, maybe friend will realize and have a little sympathy and realize the reality and they can both move on.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Yes, the boys parents were at the finish line with DH. They watched DH call me while I was on the race course in a panic wondering where Carson was. And they watched him panic for the next 15 minutes until he crossed the line. I sort of expected them to have talked to their son about it that night, which is why I was so surprised the next day when Carson brought it up to him. It was like it never occurred to the kid that Carson might be upset about being ditched.
    The High School XC team that Carson has trained with in the summers for the last 3 years has an amazing reputation for sticking together through thick and thin. Another reason Carson was surprised this happened.

Yes, diabetes was a side issue. There could have been any number of things they needed to stop for -- blisters, asthma, cramps, heat, etc. They were not running together specifically for Carson's safety. There were 10,000 other people and a jillion medical aids that Carson could have gotten help from if he was low. Which, by the way, he wasn't really low, he was just going down and needed to take in some carbs. Even a nondiabetic runner needs to take in carbs at some point during an endurance event.

But, everything seems okay at this point. Apparently they ran together at practice yesterday and Carson said all was well. Carson has a big heart. Maybe I just took it harder than him being mom and all..... And yes, boys don't talk much -- mine just likes to run.....

I will see the mom at the first XC meet tomorrow and will see if she says anything. Live and learn. Carson's talking about wanting to do another half marathon next month.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good for your son. :)

If he's planning on making a regular event of 1/2 marathons, then you should be able to figure out how much he needs to keep running. DD and I have it down to a science - assuming she's in range, bottle of juice before the start and then another 1/2 bottle every half hour. She has this cool gear where the bottles are molded and fit onto a fanny pack, and she just sips as she goes. No need to ever stop. :cwds:

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

He runs with the same belt your dd has I bet. He wears an Amphipod belt, puts the Dex in the pocket, puts Gu and tabs in the loops and clips the pump on the belt. This has been his 3rd year running and a weird one diabetes wise. I thinks teenage hormones are throwing stuff off a little. Previously he would need lots of carbs running but this year he has not. In fact he needs about 3-4 units extra of insulin after any run to prevent crazy highs. (If he is 120 after a run he has to give a 3 unit bolus even without any food). Very weird. I think he got a little thrown off during the race because he DID need carbs. More than usual. Race days are always different than regular training runs. For me too!!