- advertisement -

Need advice: discomfort with some infusion sets

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Dx011106, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

I use silhouette infusions (inserted manually) with my MiniMed 522. I tend to change my sites every three or four days and I'm doing well with basically zero scar tissue and my sites are typically healed within a week, so none of that should be an issue, BUT:
    The higher I place the infusion set, the more discomfort I feel. It's currently roughly two inches below my belly button and every now and again when I poke it or accidentally touch it I get a weird sensation. Does that make sense? I'm pretty slender, but the only real concentration of flub if around my belly button area... Would that create an issue? Conversely, when I insert the infusions lower, like closer to my hip/pubic bones, there's never any problem and I never ever feel anything when inserting.

Can anyone shed light on this?

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well...you're supposed to basically stay a good 2" from your belly button, so maybe that's the trouble? Have you tried higher up - more towards your waist area?

3. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

usually i don't even wear my sites on my stomach, it bugs me too much. i usually stick to my back/side or on my butt. the leg is nice too. but yeah, i never wear it on my stomach, it bothers me too much. maybe you should also try using the serter instead of manual insertion. that might help because it's constant in the angle and depth. or maybe try a different set. personally, i love the quick set. :)

hope this helps

4. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

Thanks to both of you! I'm going to make sure I stay 2" away at all costs. And I'm really active and love my silhouettes because of that... Sometimes I'll get so sweaty the stickyness will start wearing off, but the actual part in my stomach will stay in because it's at al angle. The inserter device is huge and scarry looking and not really anything I need, but maybe when I get back home and see my endo I can talk more with her about it.

Thanks again!