- advertisement -

Need a little reassurance please?!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Feb 24, 2011.

1. polly

polly Approved members

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum as my 5 yo son was dx'd 12.28.10 with Type 1. The last several weeks have been a whirlwind, as I'm sure everyone with a newly diagnosed child can attest to. This morning is monumental as he is going to preschool without any additional supervision from myself or other family members, as we have done since he was diagnosed. His teachers are fantastic and we have provided extensive training. My husband and I felt comfortable "weaning" ourselves away but now that I have dropped him off, I am admittedly a nervous wreck. Can anyone provide suggestions on how to feel more comfortable with leaving your child?

Thanks so much!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We were in exactly the same boat. ;) I remember wanting just to sit in the parking lot while she was in preschool, just incase :p

If you have trained the staff, have a cell phone, know that school is supplied with fast acting carbs then you just have to let it happen. I remember ( when most of the first year is pretty much a blur) that after school I would linger a bit and talk through the day with the teachers and hearing them say when they tested and how they responded and how her day had gone made me feel very confident that they were on the ball and making every effort to keep her safe.
    :cwds:

Good luck!

3. joan

joan Approved members

The first time of anything with my son has always been stressful, but it gets less stressful after you know he made it through the day and is fine. Every day gets easier and there will come a day when you know he will be fine and you don't worry as much.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Milestone days like this are hard for us moms! First day at school w/o Mom, First time at camp, First sleepover since D, et. Sounds like you've done all the right things to prepare his teachers! It will be fine, it really will. I know it's hard, but try not to worry too much. :)

5. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

It's sooo difficult. I remember the first day we dropped DD at kindergarten after dx -- she was 5 also.

Try not to worry.

6. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Do as much training of those who will be taking care of your child as you can, make sure they have a way to get in touch with you if anything should come up that is outside of either their training or their comfort (it's the first time for them as well).

After that there isn't much you can do. We all worry, especially at these types of moments. The worry goes away with positive experiences, which can only come over time.

I can provide a small bit of reassurance through a reminder that though this is the first time for you and your child, many have gone through this before. We went through it with E, and we are now completely comfortable with the care he receives while at preschool. Sounds like you've got a great staff willing to do what is necessary to keep your child safe.

7. shekov

shekov Approved members

I actually did this on my dd's first day of kindergarten. :eek::eek:

It's so scary handing over care to someone else. It gets easier. Try to keep yourself busy and enjoy your little D break. Meet a friend for coffee, go for a walk, etc.

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Sounds like you've done everything right. Only time will calm that nervous feeling--but it will calm! My son started eating at school this year (1st grade) and is gone all day, which totally freaked me out for a few weeks. We had a rocky start, but now it just feels like a normal part of life--and everything has been fine. Just know that you are doing the best thing for your child in restoring a normal routine and getting on with life. There are a lot of these firsts that we have to go through. You just prepare the best you can, which you have done, realize you will be nervous at first, but you will get used to it. Good luck!:)

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Polly, welcome to CWD:cwds: I remember Steven's first day of preschool. I dont know who was more nervous, me or the teacher:) Steven wasnt nervous at all, just real excited to be going. I did hang around that day, in the nurses office (she was the best!) in the hallway outside the door, then out in the parking lot. Have you written up a health plan for the nurse and teachers? Its a good idea to have any staff member that will have contact with your son, read over a basic health plan. It can include:What to look for as far as lows go, symptoms of lows, what to do for a low. Did you give his teacher a kit with some emergency supplies in it? Whatever you use for lows such as glucotabs or juice boxes. That way if he feels low in the classroom the teacher could get him something then have the nurse come check him if he doesnt feel that he could walk to her office.

He will do fine today, and so will you:cwds: Try to do something relaxing and enjoyable for yourself if you're home

10. polly

polly Approved members

Thank you!!!

Wow! I know this sounds a little ridiculous, but hearing your words have made my day much easier! Being the admittedly neurotic mom that I am, I increased his carb intake so he ran a little high this am but did great. I picked him up and he was smiling and having fun with his friends. :) We have done a health plan for him and have a medical box full of fast and long-lasting carbs, glucogon, etc. The staff is incredible but as a private school, there is no nurse. We are learning to take one day at a time. Thanks again for the kind words!

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yeah, I think I did too. LOL. Sat in the car in the parking lot....