- advertisement -

Navigator

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by buggle, Jan 22, 2012.

1. buggle

buggle Approved members

It sounds like the Nav is back in clinical trials. Does anyone have any inside info on whether Abbott ever plans to release it in the U.S. again?

Our Dex is acting iffy and the warranty is almost up. I hate to buy another Dex and be stuck with it for a whole year if there's a chance that the Nav might come out within the next year.

2. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Given the glacial pace of the FDA process, if they're doing trials now, I'd bet my firstborn that it won't be on the market within a year.

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

:p

They already had the 1-hour model approved. So, I'm not sure exactly what they're testing. If they haven't made any changes to the product and they sell the same one they've released in Europe and already had approved here (but didn't release here), I'd guess there wouldn't be much of a holdup -- at least from the FDA. Abbott seems to move even slower than the FDA.

4. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Yeah, they must be doing trials on an entirely new unit. I figure since it has been so long since they received approval for the 1 hour unit that they've made the decision not to bring that one to market in the U.S. Otherwise they surely would have done so rather than shutting down the division and losing all of those customers. I'm betting the one in trials has different hardware at the least, in an attempt to solve those issues.

This isn't unprecedented for Abbott. They have a pump that received FDA approval in '08 or '09 too that was never brought to market. Abbott Diabetes is just kind of a mess.

ETA: The lack of progress when it comes to CGM technology baffles me. It's so new that you'd think they'd be improving it all the time, but really not a lot has changed from the first generation systems. And the study that I saw comparing MM and Dex's next gen systems concluded that they're really only marginally better than the current ones. Where are the advancements?!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. karri

karri Approved members

Couldnt agree more. Is this because of FDA, lack of competition, insurance-based-market-model or what, dont know.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I completely agree. Especially because there are some really obvious and technologically easy changes that could be made to the current systems (LOUDER ALARMS, alarm for ??? with Dex, etc.).

7. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

Abbott does not have plans to release it in the USA. They are discontinuing suppli=]ying the sensors in the USe this spring. It appears that the did not buy the USA rights for the 2nd generation. All of their us Navigatot sales staff has been discharged, and they will not support any Navigators or sensors after this spring. IF THE get their act together, it would still take at least a year to hire and train support staff for the new units. The units are used in research, because they are the best out there, but think DAIHATSU and how Japan pulled them out of the USA, ain't gonna happen in the near future.