- advertisement -

Navigator comparisons

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Twinklet, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Some of you may know that Emily participated in the JDRF Artificial Pancreas study for a year and wore a Navigator intermittently for 6 months and then continuously for 6 months. During that time, the Navigator was not FDA-approved.

The non-FDA approved Navigator we had was awesome. We had zero problems with it, and it was almost always within 5 points of her fingerstick BG.

The bad news is that the non-FDA approved Navigator died 13 months after we began use.

We finally got our insurance to cover some sensors. We got our new, FDA approved Navigator last month and she's been wearing it. However, I'm finding some problems we didn't ever have before!

This last sensor was way off fairly frequently. Even when her BG wasn't traveling, she was 40 points or more off. She was sometimes within 5 points of the actual BG, but it varied GREATLY.

Our range has gone down considerably. On the non-FDA approved one, we got a good 25 feet distance. On this new one, we're getting 10-15. Not bad, but not the same.

Anyway, I'm bummed that the receiver AND transmitter died so soon on the "old" Navigator--does that mean we'll have to ask insurance to buy a new one each year? And I'm wondering if any changes were made to the FDA-approved sensors.

We are getting a good 10 days use out of the sensors, but that dang sweat probe is really biting a hole in her skin. The actual insertion site for the sensor is nil--it heals up within hours. They have to do something about the sweat probe, though! It rubs too much.

Has anyone used expired sensors with any luck? I have a few left and may use one on myself to see if it works.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I tried one that was just about expire within a week one time and I didn't think it worked well.
    On the distance , I wonder if it is just a 'bad' receiver or transmitter. My younger son has great distance about 30 feet. My older son has a little less I think but still pretty good. Very frustrating.
    We have some sensors that seem more 'on' that other but I blame that on our calibrations. See my new thread I am about to post.

I agree on the sensor the 'hole' is gone within a hour for us no doubt. I use Bard wipe under the temp probe area and it really helps for us. It is just a little red mark after running 10 days and fades slowly over time , by the next time I need to use the arm.

I would love to try the new Dexcom to see how our skin handles that one. My friend has had great results from that one. I would love to compare.

3. Diana

Diana Approved members

I have wondered about the research vs retail versions. Interesting.

We have really good range - up to 30 feet - so I think you may not have a very good transmitter/receiver. We are on our 5th receiver, and I have found that the range varies quite a bit, but we always get at least 20 feet. The ability to transmit through walls varies quite a bit too.

I am also curious about the insurance question ... will they replace the whole system every year (see above about 5th receiver... in 7 months). Obviously, we won't be comfortable when we are out of warranty.

We don't have trouble with the temp probe so no help there. I know that someone on the mailing list has a son who has used expired sensors successfully, but we haven't had to yet.

I'm not sure what to say about the sensor being so off. Our different receivers have also had seemingly different calibration sensitivites. Some have been quite happy to take whatever number comes up, while others were very picky and rejected lots of calibrations. Or maybe it's just a bad batch of sensors. Our initial box would totally lose accuracy above 150 or so (like it would read 150 to 180 and he would be over 300). I never finished that box of sensors (and now they are expired... perhaps I should experiment?). Anyway, you obviously know how to use the system, so it can't just be newbie mistakes.

I hope things improve for you.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I am worried about when our year is up. Will insurance buy us another? I know by experience these things will not last forever. If I have to buy again I would like to try the Dexcom before buying another Navigator.

5. Ruthellen

Ruthellen Approved members

One year 'warranty'

I called Abbott today and spoke to Sybil. I have been waiting for almost a month for my son's transmitter to be replaced - still no estimated date.

So I said I wanted my warranty extended for this month, and told her I was nervous with the quality of the product and what would happen after the 12 months were up.

She said that according to an internal paper she was reading, if a problem cannot be resolved Abbott will replace the system, even if the 12 months are up. She said if the Abbott rep did not offer replacement, that we could request a replacement and there was paperwork that the rep would then need to fill out and send to Alameda (the corporate office, I guess).

Our 12 months are up in June...

Has anyone else asked the question of Abbott about what will happen after 12 months? I would love to hear Sybil's message confirmed by someone else. I can't even remember how many times the transmitter and/or receiver have been replaced sine June.

ruthellen

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

Well, now, that is interesting. If they will replace it after the 12 months, what exactly does being under warranty mean? Not that I'm complaining...

Have you had more than 5? I thought I held the record ;) We've been using it since August. That is like 6 weeks per receiver. Whoo hoo.

The last one was kind of the tipping point for me - now I am open to considering something else. We'll see.

7. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I'm very curious about this too. The CS employee obviously knew what they were talking about.

I plan on going with somebody else after my 12 months are up. There is no way in H3!! that I am going to put up with this garbage.

The transmitter issue is ridiculous, unacceptable, and embarrassing for Abbott. The quality of the Navigator is bad, so there is no reason to get another one, or even a replacement, unless there are insurance issues involved.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would like to know if the Dexcom system has many failures. I may start a new thread.:rolleyes:

9. Twinklet

I'm using an expired sensor on myself this week. So far, it's reading just fine. However---I don't have D and my graph is pretty flat, so it's not like the sensor would have a hard time keeping up with severely fluctuating BG levels.

Diana, I cannot BELIEVE you have gone through 5 receivers so far! That is completely unacceptable.

I am very dismayed at the things I'm reading here about the Navigator. We had such a wonderful experience while we were doing the study. The equipment looks exactly the same, so I assume it is. I don't know why we are all having issues.

If we have bad experiences with this system, I will be looking into the Dexcom. I just thought Navigator was a lot more accurate according to studies, but it's not if it's breaking down continually!!

10. Twinklet

DH just pointed something out to me. I'm wearing an expired, non-FDA approved sensor. I have 2 more. I think I'll try one on Emily next week, then use a non-expired, FDA-approved one and compare.

Shouldn't it be the same product, though? I am going to E-Mail the study people and ask.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would love to test drive the Dexcom plus and compare since now I have something to compare against.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Off topic, in your picture of your daughter with the Jonas brothers which boy in the picture is diabetic? They are really brothers , right?

13. Twinklet

Yes, they really are brothers with the same mom and dad. :) The one with Type 1 Diabetes is Nick Jonas, and he's in the middle wearing the white T-Shirt. He uses an Omnipod.