- advertisement -

Naturally occuring ketones in the fruit and the vegetable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ecure, Jan 11, 2014.

1. ecure

ecure Approved members

Hi

By any chance do you have a list of vegetable and fruit that have the most natural ketones in them ?

Thank you

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not sure what you are asking. It is my understanding and based on a quick google search that ketones do not exist in food.

Ketones are a byproduct of fat oxidation. In other words, when your body burns fat, it produces ketones that can be used for energy. The more fat your body burns, the more ketones are produced. Although foods do not have ketones, the foods you choose can help you promote ketosis -- the state in which your body uses ketones. Non diabetics produce ketones when the number of carbs is low, the protein consumed is moderate and the fat high. Type 1 diabetics produce ketones when there isn't enough carbohydrate getting to the cells (which is where insulin comes in).

Ketones in a type 1 diabetics are never considered a good thing.

3. ecure

ecure Approved members

different type of ketones as I seen and different origins. A ketone resulting of your metabolism..is different than ketone you will eat from a fruit or vegetable.

Example: Isoamyl acetate is the ketone responsible for the major portion of the banana flavor.
    source:http://www.sanjuancollege.edu/pages/1066.asp

Butanone is biosynthesized by some trees and found in some fruits and vegetables in small amounts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Ketones are also classified as a compound containing a carbonyl group with two hydrocarbon groups attached to it. Fructose has this carbonyl group.

On this forum, folks are more concerned with the ketones produced by the body.

I can't help you much with your question as I never tracked the food that contained fructose. For a type 1, food that has fructose needs insulin as any other carbohydrate.

5. ecure

ecure Approved members

The fructose doesn't need any insulin to assimilate but you cannot find a fruit 100% with fructose... Usually you have more sugar than fructose in the fruit....

I think the average percentage of fructose in fruit is around 20% of total carbs. ( fiber not included)

The highest fructose fruits are like 50% fructose.

Other type of ketones are found in fruit not only fructose ... Fructose is a sugar ketone.. but as I seen you have fat ketone in the fruit as well.

It would be great to have a list of the fruit with highest concentration of total ketones. ( all type of ketones calculated)

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have absolutely no idea what you mean or what your point is but ... fructose is not a ketone, it's a monosaccharide ... a sugar.

There are many ketones found in fruit for sure and many give them their distinctive odor and flavor. None of them, however, have ANY effect on diabetes.

There are three ketones which cause diabetic ketoacidosis and these are acetone, acetoacetic acid, and beta-hydroxybutyric acid. They may or may not be found naturally in foods but even if they are I assure you that eating them in the small amounts found in food would have no effect on blood ketone levels.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  7. ecure

ecure Approved members

Fructose is the most common ketone sugar. Unlike aldehyde sugars, fructose has a carbony (ketone) on carbon #2. It is and isomer of glucose and produced from glucose in an isomerization reaction. Fructose is most commonly found attached to glucose to make the disaccharide sucrose (common table sugar). The linear form of fructose is shown on the left. However, the alcohol on carbon #5 spontaneously adds to the ketone on carbon #1 to form a hemiketal in a five atom ring structure called a furanose.
    http://global.oup.com/us/companion....es/9780195305753/molecules/sugar_fructose.htm

and fructose has almost no effect on blood sugar in the researches.