- advertisement -

National Diabetic Pharmacy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KellyH, Sep 25, 2006.

1. KellyH

KellyH Approved members

Does anyone use this mail order pharmacy? I called last week for supplies and when they came they were missing two of my orders. Then when I called back they informed me that the blood ketone strips for the precision xtra meter is within the count for the strips used to check blood sugar. Since my endo's office only gave them a Rx for testing 4 times a day!:confused: something I really need to clarify with them, they can't send me the ketone strips. My argument is that the blood ketone strips are for testing something entirely different - why should they be in the count? the urninalysis sticks are not! Grr Grr. So what has been everyone elses experience with this pharmacy? I must admit I love that the supplies are mailed straight to me.
    ~Kelly
    Mom 2 Abby (4/24/05) Dx *8/15/06

2. madde

madde Approved members

No, not yet, but will be starting in January, as my husband's insurance company has decided to go that route. I hope everything goes smoothly.

3. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

You might see if your insurance company has an incentive for using their own mail-order pharmacy (if they have one). Keep in mind that these diabetic-specific mail-order pharmacies live on overcharging to people's plans, and if it comes out of your DME provision, many policies have a maximum lifetime limit that might come back and bite the patient later in adulthood. Some of these mail order companies will charge as much as they can by providing generic lancets at full prices, and requiring you to order the same number of lancets as test strips.

Some charge high enough to allow you to avoid paying a co-pay (which is insurance fraud in the eyes of the payor).

There are some that even spam for business using special "referral programs," so I'm always skeptical of mail order companies, especially with the profits they make. That money they make comes out of increased premiums for your insurance coverage, so make sure you know what they're billing!

Rant over. :D

4. Kris60

Kris60 Approved members

We use the same pharmacy, but only for Lauren's pump supplies. So far they have been great. We even had to call about returning the 9mm for the 6mm infusion sets. They had them to us in no time, and even sent a shipping label for the return. Everything else we need diabetic related, we use wal mart or walgreens. Maybe they were confusing the rx assuming the precision (ketone strips) was for the blood testing strips, since the meter does both? anyways, good luck and hope you get it fixed