- advertisement -

Nannying/babysitting for kids with diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by alexhughes, Mar 14, 2011.

1. alexhughes

alexhughes New Member

hi there,
    Im a 23 yr old registered nurse, nanny, type 1 diabetic who is in the early stages of establishing a nanny agency for kids with diabetes within the NSW, Sydney area with visions to grow!!
    I have had diabetes for 16 years now and am in my 3rd year of nursing post degree.
    I know my mum struggled a lot when I was first diagnosed at age 7 with finding an appropriate trust worthy babysitter to look after me for the day, night, or a couple of days. I saw when i was younger how much strain and stress it really put on my family. I am looking for expressions of interest in this agency, and any ideas, any nannies experienced with diabetes, or diabetics wanting to nanny or babysit in order to get it up and running in full swing.
    Thanks guys... looking forward to hearing from you all!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I think it's a great idea!
    If we were still in Sydney, I'd definitely be interested in hiring you.

If you haven't already, you might contact Diabetes Australia (I think it's now the Australian Diabetes Council, or something like that), and maybe Westmead and Randwick too. They might have some good ideas for you, and they might even refer people to you. We were at Westmead, and our endo team was fantastic.

Good luck! :)

3. Rocky Mountain Mom

Rocky Mountain Mom Approved members

Wonderful idea! If we travel to Sydney, I will look you up! There is definitely a need for this type of service...!

4. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

If only you were in California...:(

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I recently posted a thread to celebrate those in our lives who provide backup care for our CWD (grandparents, neighbors, friends etc). I was so sad to see how many responded that they have NO help or anyone who can care safely for their CWD. What a great need you are filling!!

Let us know when you expand to the U.S.!!!!:p Good luck!

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

That sounds a little like the safesittings idea- have you seen that website?

7. alexhughes

alexhughes New Member

I have actually seen the safesittings website... its in the US.
    I have emailed the girl who started it and waiting to hear back! thankss

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Great idea!

I needed you last night.:p

9. Smylee

Smylee New Member

Question

Hi there,
    I'm a mother and a wife of type 1 diabetics.
    I'm also a trained nurse and a nanny.
    Just wondering if you started the agency up?
    I'd be extremely interested in having a chat!
    Mail me,
    Talk soon
    Kylee

10. lisac

lisac Approved members

There is SUCH a need for this. I thought of trying to start a daycare like this in my area, but it's too small of a town:( We don't have caregivers readily available, and the daycares in our area DO NOT take children with medical issues.

11. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! Sign me up...Not all family members are comfortable taking care of a type 1 child and have told me so...ok..great..and while I was going through chemo..my hubby had to take care of Amanda FULL TIME it was NOT easy..(no one stepped up) ..so I would of loved to be able to rely on an experienced person ....

12. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Great idea! Hope you make it tonthe NY area I could really use a babysitter :)