- advertisement -

Naive and stupid

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Connor's Mom, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I think that's a wise decision on your part.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, you implied that all schools and principals detest them and I know that to be false, not based simply on my personal experience but after years on CWD listen to and talking with other parents.

Most of professional adults that I know prefer to have a set of understood guidelines when it comes to managing a child in their custody. Most professional educators would rather have a a plan than leaving things up to chance and, moreover, leaving them exposed in the event of a medical emergency on campus.

3. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I didn't know I could refuse to have him test that's good to know. I have thought about keeping him home. If he has a particularly bad night I will keep him home since I was told the testing this week will be in the mornings.

I will be calling the principal and sending her another email. So far I haven't been contacted. I had heard that she is not a fan of 504's in HER school. She finds them hard to follow and prefers the IHP's. In my son's case I have trouble having that followed completely.

While I am still angry, I have calmed down considerably. There isn't anything I can do today. I have to wait until Monday and I will head to her office if I don't have a response by the start of the school day.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Make sure that you refer in your email "per my phone message of this day and time, I am following up with an email." This will show that you have covered all your bases in the event you have to take this to a higher level. Make a paper trail.

For most state tests, schools have a certain window that the make ups can fall into. It would behoove them to get the 504 tied up asap.

We've been lucky, our elem. principal has a special ed background, so he always knew the importance of a 504 and embraced them. Excellent working relationship with him. This year in middle, they know we have one just sign off on it and work with it. I guess they feel that it's worked this long, we haven't made any crazy changes, so let's not fix what isn't broken.

5. Beach bum

Don't even have him miss the whole day, have him go in and be recorded as a tardy. We've had d issues that have kept us up late and while she couldn't go in right away, we would go in later;)

6. Connor's Mom

I have taken him in late after a bad night or low or high morning number.

I was telling my sister about it, just venting and she said,"well, just make sure he gets a good night sleep and has a good breakfast.". I almost strangled her through the phone. Is THAT what I need to do? I never knew it was so easy?

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Like Beach bum suggested, I'd simply have him miss that part of the day, take him in later in the day and work on the 504. We do all testing on the computers here, so if they need a break, they take one. They've had to stop for all sorts of things. I couldn't image the school denying Kaylee accomidations with or without a 504. I mean, she has a 504 that is specific about state testing, but they'd do what they needed to do for her regardless of offical documentation.

8. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

What a thing to pop up in the 11th hour, ugh. Sorry you have to stew over this through the weekend, but I'm sure it will be okay.

Go in early Monday and catch the principal, no way his goal is to hurt your kid. He may have given a rushed answer in the midst of other things when the nurse brought it up. No doubt seeing you and taking a second to consider the situation will clear that up. The school staff wants the kids to succeed. You guys can sign a temporary slapped together 504 or make other arrangements to cover Connor this week.

If the school is run by some dark Sith overlord that refuses to watch out for Connor...unplug your alarm clocks and take him too late to test until things are resolved.

Either way, try hard not to fret too much. I know it's frustrating, but remind yourself it's just one session of state testing - it's not his SAT. In the grand scheme of things this is just a frustrating little blip, but you're working toward a formal full on 504 now so that will help for the future.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. Ali

Ali Approved members

I did not know one could opt put of the testing. That is good to know for a variety of reasons. There are kids and years where you might have your kid skip the testing for many reasons regardless of any health concerns. Ali

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

A few years ago I considered the "opt out" provision and did a little research. It did seem doable in CT but in the end I didn't want my dd to get the impression that she was either incapable of doing the work, or that she was so medically delicate that an hour of standardized testing would be a risky activity.:rolleyes: Nor would I want her peers seeing her opting out.

Do I take her score with a grain of salt? Sure. As I probably would even without D. But I don't put much stock in any fill in the bubble test and I wouldn't let any attempt by the school to use such a score to place her or evaluate her performance go unchallenged.

11. Michelle'sMom

12. Connor's Mom

Thanks for posting the link:). Your point is well taken. I do not want him to think he is too fragile to be tested. I just don't want him to try to push through a low to finish a test or to start feeling that anger and agitation that comes with a high. His eyes dart around and he has trouble sitting still at that point. I don't want it to be misconstrued as cheating.

His numbers for the last 2 days have been low during the testing times but, it's the weekend and it is usually different on school days. I have also adjusted things to hopefully stop the lows. That being said, we will be putting in a new site today so, the settings will be off any way by tomorrow:/

We will see what tomorrow brings...

13. Michelle'sMom

I have 2 older dd's that are long past high school. To my knowledge they never took a standardized test that was only an hour. Must br nice.

Considering how varied these tests can be in terms of time limits, whether or not they affect grades or placement etc, you should be best qualified to determine which path to take from here. I'm just relieved scoring doesn't count for us this year.

I hope you can find a workable solution, & your son does well.

14. Beach bum

This is where it is important for the nurse to test him prior to the test, and depending on the length of the test, midway. Then, make sure she records the numbers. You will at least have proof in the event there is a problem.

Have you considered running a separate program for the testing time, or have the nurse run a temp basal?

15. Connor's Mom

I myself have not had luck with running temp basals yet. I wouldn't know what to suggest to her.

I plan on having him test before the start and between tests too. I reminded him today that if he feels "funny" at all during any part of the test he should quietly use an alcohol swab to clean his finger and test. I would prefer that he go to wash his hand at the classroom sink but, I don't want to disrupt the other kids. If he is low or high or feels like he is dropping but he's still in the normal range I told him he has my permission to either treat himself in the room or take the teacher aide and go to the nurse. If she won't leave to go with him I told him to tell his teacher to call me immediately test or no test.

I honestly don't expect a problem but, I am nervous all the same.

16. Connor's Mom

Day one and he is 360 before the test:eek:!!! Needless to say he is in the nurses office and NOT testing per my instruction. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be pretty. We treated 2 lows during the night and he was tired. Then before he left for school he was starting to get irritated and was being mean to his sister. He was 159 at home but, was obviously on the rise.

17. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Sorry you're having issues with numbers. Glad you were able to have him in the health room and not testing. Dd starts state assessments tomorrow. I'm just praying for the best.

18. Beach bum

Bummer.

Have you talked to your endo about how to handle situations like these? My daughter spikes, partly because testing is in the am, so we are still seeing breakfast, but she also is nervous. In our case, we increase basal 30 minutes prior to school and during the test. We only used about 20%.

19. Connor's Mom

No, I haven't contacted the Endo. Last year on injections he did fine. I didn't even think about it with worrying about the 504 issue. The rest of the day was a disaster.

He came down to 190 and the principal took him to the side and administered the exam. Then after the exam he was 68 so back to the nurse he went. He came up fast to 162 and went back to class. Within 20 minutes he was back in the nurse's office pale and sweaty and not feeling well. He was 259 so, I brought him home. He was spiking and was 357 once we were home. Made it through lunch and got him down to 170. Then he had a doctor's appointment and dropped to 58:eek:. Got him up had dinner and now I am hoping for a better night.

If I was a drinker, I would need one about now. I, however am an eater and am jonsing for a donut!:p

20. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

OMG, I am so sorry, that really does sound like a horrible rest of the day. (been there recently w/ dd.) I hope you get some help in adjusting his rates, he must feel like he's been through the wringer. Hugs to you both. If I could, I'd apparate a chocolate eclair next to your laptop!