- advertisement -

My sweet CJ is TOO sweet!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nikichickee, May 8, 2010.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi and welcome. I am sorry for the dx.

BF can help a bit with the anxiety of a dx, for the child. That's what I think anyway. With help from your diabetes team, I am sure it will be doable.

Although reading about possible causes of T1 D is certainly interesting, I think it's a process we all go through, trying to find the why of something. But it is what it is, and nothing you have done would have prevented it.

ETA - you can begin pumping at any age.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Niki, I saw that you mentioned the pump. Did the endo discuss this with you? Alot of babys are put on pumps because you can give such tiny doses of insulin its really good for that. Are you using diluted insulin right now? Im not sure if the lantus can be diluted but the Novolog or Humolog can be. Often with babys people will dilute it especially when the baby is honeymooning.

3. redcurls3

redcurls3 Approved members

I just wanted to welcome you and say sorry for the dx. I can totally understand where you've been. My son was dx at 4 months old and we were on a major roller coaster with shots and I was still BF him so it was a major challenge, but so worth it. We got him on a pump just before his 1st birthday and finally stopped having lows (well at least below 50 anyway). We were lucky to later find out that he had a different type of diabetes and were able to take him off insulin at 21 months old and put him on glyburide. Even though it's been almost 5 years since that time, I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Don't hesitate to ask any questions and this is a great support group with a lot of active members with kids dx at a young age. You are in my prayers.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

And that is 100% wrong...

Type 1 is an autoimmune disease. Kids who vaccinate get it; kids who don't get it; kids who were breastfed get it, kids on formula only get it.

If they knew what caused the autoimmune attack on the cells that produce insulin, then I guarantee, it would be all over this board. Saying that vaccines cause Type 1 is nothing but speculation and trust me, doctors and researchers have studied this and looked for the connection, and there just is not one. If you want more info, you can search this forum for vaccinations and you will find many interesting debates where not 1 single person was able to show anything but anecdotal evidence - absolutely no scientific proof at all.

And telling a newly diagnosed mom that she had a role in causing her child's disease is mean and vindictive.

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hi, I also want to welcome you. I know your emotions are in a whirlwind right now. I just want to offer this to you...the day your daughter was diagnosed was heart breaking, but it was also the day her life was saved. D is not easy, but it is manageable and they are working on new discoveries every day to make her life easier...And we have every reason to believe that a cure will be found in her life time. She is going to be fine, and so are you. Everything just takes more planning now and more time. Hang in there and come back to the Parent's board as often as you can. There are some truly wonderful people there.

6. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Niki,
    I'm sorry that you had to join us, but welcome! I also have a strong faith, but I remember really struggling in the beginning with being overwhelmed, exhausted, & hormonal (I was 5 months pregnant when my 7 year old was dx). There is a grieving process that is normal & natural even with faith. This isn't an easy road, but God is still good, He's still in control, and you and your precious family are going to be okay. I'm praying for you!

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome to our "club"! I cannot imagine having a newly dx'd baby! My girls were 4 and 8 at dx, so we were able to really talk about everything. The one who was dx'd at 4 doesn't really remember much about being non-D (she's 15 now). My 10 year old clearly remembers everthing, and had seen her older sister live with D her whole life. It was pretty sad. Give yourself time to cry, and educate yourself when you can. i will pray that things go smoothly!

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

And telling a newly diagnosed mom that she had a role in causing her child's disease is mean and vindictive.

I agree...:)

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

You just keep repeating the same thing...ok move on now...and I am relaxed..I just feel bad for this new mom and you putting the wrong infor out there when she didnt ask for it...thats not fair...what is wrong with you???

10. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Welcome to CWD :)

My daughter was diagnosed just over a year ago at 10-months old. I was breastfeeding at the time and continued to breastfeed until about 5-months post dx when we weaned slowly. In the beginning the breast milk seemed to bring up bg's substantially and was great for lows. As time progressed and obviously my milk changed it seemed to have very little effect (either that or she wasn't eating enough to have an effect). There are complex ways to try and count carbs in breast milk but my 2 cents are talk to your endo for any advice, let her nurse (esp now because she's been through a lot) and correct for the highs. Do this until you can figure out what bm will do to her blood sugars.

We started pumping about 6 weeks post dx and it saved my sanity. I could simply not measure less than .5u and even that was sending her crashing. It's an individual choice but if your endo team will support you then I say get the pump as soon as you can. Much easier for nursing as well because you can just give her little tiny bits (i.e. .05u for every 5 mins she nurses).

I am not going to get involved in the vax'ing discussion -- just know you did nothing to cause the diagnosis and there was nothing you could have done differently to prevent it.

Stay strong, and use us for support and advice, it is a bumpy ride in the beginning but I promise you it will get better.

11. SueM

SueM Banned

Mean and vindictive? Get over yourself. :)

12. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome! I'm sorry you have to be here, but this is a great place for support and understanding. I've learned so much from coming here and it's nice to have people that know what your feeling and talking about. You'll do great and everything will work out and you will have a new normal sooner than you think.:)

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Excuse me?

Are you truly so incredibly insensitive that you go around telling parents they are the cause of their child's disease? I suggest you get over yourself...

You know, you CAN edit your post and remove the statement instead of fanning the flames. You sorta apologized, I guess, and I am glad I read that. I mean, you have been a member here since what, 2 months. In my 4 years of being a member on here, no where have I seen another parent of a Type 1 tell a newly diagnosed mom that she probably caused her child's Type 1 because of vaccinations.

That is why I said cruel and vindictive.

14. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Welcome to CWD, hope you enjoy your stay XD

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Really, this is not how this board communicates - even when we disagree, we don't talk to one another like this.

16. SueM

SueM Banned

Now it's cruel and vindictive? I thought that I was just being mean and vindictive. Now I feel extra bad.

Let's not rewrite history here. I didn't say to the the mom that she "probably caused her child's Type 1 because of vaccinations". Total misrepresentation of what was said. Go back and read it. You still won't like what I wrote but in no way, shape or form did I suggest what you suggest that I suggested. :)

Having said that... maybe I'm an oddball here... I prefer to keep the mommy guilt out of this... When I bring up the topic of vaccinations, I would never suggest for a second that a mom caused her child's disease by vaccinating the child... It's the VACCINES, not the mom's fault (hypothetically of course...).

If a child has a seizure on the night of his/her vaccinations, did the mom cause the child's seizure? Ah, no... vaccines did. ;)

ps. I would consider 'editing' my post but I'm concerned that if I change what I originally wrote then someone may actually read the misrepresentation of my words and get the wrong idea.

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

18. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

think about your feelings soon after diagnosis. I know for me it was all a blur of sobbing in the bathroom and wondering what went wrong while reading in horror on different articles on the internet. Then why do you go to a newly diagnosed mom and bring something like that up? Obviously she didn't vaccinate but if she did that could set her off further into her guilt. I had people ask me if I breastfed (I did both with my first) and that made me feel horrible. I guess you could say it was the formula but then I put that damn bottle in his mouth.
    Just because you felt one way does not mean another person would. The child already has diabetes, knowing what could potentially cause it does absolutely nothing. Now if she was pregnant and asked a question about what could be done differently, talking about vaccines is highly appropriate.

19. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

One of the first things I read after Steven was diagnosed was how exposure to cows milk protein before the first birthday may have caused him to have diabetes. I formula fed both of my children. You cannot imagine the self loathing I felt about this FOR YEARS afterwards.:(

I ask the pp that brought up vaccines in the first place to stop now. This thread is an intro thread. This person is looking for support from us and thats all she needs right now. Not your ideas or anyone elses about what caused her childs diabetes. If researchers knew exactly what caused it our children wouldnt keep getting it. As I said in FB if you or anyone else wants to discuss vaccines and type 1 d or breastfeeding and type 1 d or any other possible cause START A NEW THREAD ,keep it out of here!!!!

And to the OP, I hope your baby girl and your whole family is doing well. It sounds like your husband and you are going to make a great team keeping that little sweetie healthy and happy. If theres anything we can do to help let us know:cwds:

20. SueM

SueM Banned

I guess that I am a total oddball because I actually would have appreciated someone mentioning the topic of vaccinations to me. I think that if I had known and researched it further, I would have changed my kids' vaccination schedules much earlier. Unfortunately, I lived in La-La Land for a while after my daughter was diagnosed and I didn't end up knowing much about the topic of vaccines and the immune system until a few years post-type 1 D diagnosis. Oh well, live and learn. I also sort of see it as a topic unlike some other topic of triggers (ie cows milk, pesticides, etc. etc.) in that with babies being vaccinated so frequently... Each second counts in order for the parent to hear/research the topic and make an informed decisions. So, yes, the baby already has type 1 diabetes but could more vaccinations go on to trigger other autoimmune/neurological problems in the baby? Maybe, maybe not... but some parents may wish to hear that information and make their own decisions based upon that..

Again though... let me be clear... I will never mention the topic of vaccinations in an introduction thread again... (unless the parent does first). I see how it can be seen as inconsiderate (although not mean, cruel or vindictive). :eek: