- advertisement -

My sweet CJ is TOO sweet!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by nikichickee, May 8, 2010.

1. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

My DD Cara was diagnosed last Sunday with type 1 at 11 months old. We ventured to the ER wondering why she was so lethargic considering a virus/infection to be the cause although curious why she had no fever or symptoms of dehydration. We discovered her BS was 580 and she was spilling lots of ketones, quickly sent to PICU and eventually moved to the Peds floor until our discharge yesterday. It's been quite the roller coaster, as I'm sure you all know but I am blessed with a strong and supportive husband and amazing God who I know will carry me through the tough times :)

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Niki and welcome:) Im so sorry you have to be here but Im sure glad you found us! There are others here that have very young children like Cara. Im sure they will come to this thread to say hello too. I hope you come back often to ask questions or when your needing an understanding ear, here you will find many I promise. I hope your little girl is doing ok and feeling better. I know this is all very overwhelming right now but just be patient with yourself, keep in constant contact with the endo and if you need us we will be here

3. SueM

SueM Banned

So sorry to hear about your daughter. :(

My daughter was also diagnosed at 11 months old. (actually one week before she turned 1... close enough). It's really difficult with a baby/toddler at that age... eating patterns are so unpredictable and they aren't really able to verbalize the highs/lows yet. It's challenging. Having said that... my daughter just turned 10 and she's awesome - if I do say so myself. :) She's quite a little athlete and has more energy than any kid I know...

She's adapted so well to her situation and nothing seems to faze her about having type 1 D. I almost wonder if it's a bit easier for her to deal with in that she doesn't know anything else as opposed to a child who is diagnosed at an older age and can remember what's it's like not to have type 1 d. Not sure about that.... (I still would have preferred for her not to have been diagnosed so young.... but it's just something that I do wonder about).

Anyway, good luck with everything and just know that you are not alone... So many of us have gone through what you are going through now and can relate to your situation. Hang in there!

ps. You may want to consider looking back at what vaccinations your daughter had recently... I believe that vaccines can trigger type 1 d in little ones. There will be some who will hate that I bring this up ... but it is what it is...

4. nikichickee

Thanks for the welcome Becky, the roller coaster sure is taking it's toll and today being my husbands first day back to work is exceptionally wild. I handled my first low without DH a few hours ago and I'm still shaking. The "why's" and bitterness are starting to set in but I keep reciting Proverbs 3:5-6 and trying to get out of this funk. It seems to come in waves right now.

5. nikichickee

It's so great (albeit bittersweet) to meet someone femiliar with such an early dx. I know exactly what you mean about them not knowing any better although hating they have to experience it at all. How old did you begin pumping? We are working on getting her the new Revel because of the small doses and her BFing it's awfully hard to determine her intake. Funny you mention the vaxs because I was just going to ask about them, although I'm looking to find other non vaxing mamas as my DD hasn't had any yet. I am so thrilled we followed through with our decision not to vax and to BF because I fear if I hadn't I would have been left questioning the "what if's" if that makes sense

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

welcome but sorry you have to be here ;)
    My son was diagnosed at 20 months a few days shy of 3 years ago so I know how rough it is with a little one-he was practically non-verbal so he was very much a baby. He's doing a lot better now that he can communicate.
    As for the what if's, like vaccines, what good does it do now? All of us have different backgrounds as far as breastfeeding, births, location, etc but we all have the same thing in common, diabetes.

7. nikichickee

I totally agree Alison I am just know I am my own worst enemy and still feel overwhelmingly guilty as it is

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

My own daughter was dx at 13 mos also..Welcome to CWD...Im sorry you have to be here....I hope things are going well, and you will find lots of support here..so welcome!!!
    Do not spend any more thoughts on how or why or is this something I did...you didnt...none of us did anything...we just got lucky to be these too sweet childrens parents...:)

9. RosemaryCinNJ

ps. You may want to consider looking back at what vaccinations your daughter had recently... I believe that vaccines can trigger type 1 d in little ones. There will be some who will hate that I bring this up ... but it is what it is...[/QUOTE]

My daughter was dx at 13 mos...she didnt even have all her vaccines yet due to the fact she was premature..so she didnt have the MMR, chicken pox etc. yet...Vaccines do not cause type 1..

10. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

that is completely normal! After a long time I realized that got me absolutely nowhere, I just concentrate on today and the future. It's been said here before, you go through stages of grief cause a part of your life, the innocence and all of that is gone. It's not always bad but it's normal to feel all of that.

11. SueM

SueM Banned

Hi Niki,

I need to apologize. I am being bashed on someone's FB page for bringing up vaccines to you. :( I am very sorry if I offended you in some way. As you can probably already tell... it's a bit of a heated topic. Sorry to throw you into it so soon!

To the haters: If I don't ask the question... who else will? Certainly not the medical professionals. :)

12. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Niki I wanted to chime in again about the causes of type 1 diabetes. I believe that its a very complex disease and scientists are trying hard to discover what causes it. I think there are many reasons why it happens in some children and not others. I have 2 children, both were bottle fed from the beginning which absolutely ate me up with guilt after Stevens diagnosis until Ive talked to woman on here that breastfed exclusively, often up till the day of diagnosis. Both of my children have had all the vaccinations which our pediatrician said they needed. I trust her with my childrens lives.

For now I want you to concentrate on taking really good care of yourself, physically and emotionally, make sure your getting enough rest and try to take some time out for yourself when you can. Its hard having young children and doubly so when they are diagnosed with diabetes.

In my mind its doubtful that there is anything that you or I or any of the other parents in here could have done to change things for our children. We just need to pray and hope that they discover what causes diabetes and how to cure it.

13. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

Niki
    So sorry to hear about your daughter. Every new diagnoses breaks my heart.

My son was three when diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I have and continue to go through a range of emotions on a daily basis. Hang in there!

Glad you found this forum so quickly. For me, it has been a great resource for learning. I hope you find what you need here as well!

Brenda

14. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I just wanted to welcome you and say how sorry I am that you had to find us. I can not imagine how hard it is to have a child so young dx'd. My son was 16 years old at dx and it was hard.

Best of luck to you.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel was also dxd at 11 months and she is now a normal, naughty, funny, sometimes terrible, lovable 8 yr old.

I highly recommend the book "Sweet Kids - How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace" by Betty Brackenridge.

We were advised to stop breastfeeding and didn't. I think it was such a huge comfort for Rachel.

16. RosemaryCinNJ

I didnt bash you on facebook..I simply told you that your comments regarding vaccines was not fair to be bringing up to a mom of a newly diagnosed child..and you stated "she didnt seem bothered by it"....thats not fair..she didnt come on CWD looking for whys...
    Nobody is a hater...but why did you feel it necessary to ask this mother to look into her vaccines for her child? Why not ask her if she did or did not breastfeed too while you are at it...its neither here nor there now..the child has type 1..asking these questions is only upsetting to the mother dont you think??
    I wish this new mom well...and hope she will continue to come here for SUPPORT...

17. SueM

SueM Banned

Why did I ask the mother about vaccines...? Because I'm an evil b*tch, I suppose. :)

No really, the reason that I did that is because of the very young age of the baby being diagnosed. I actually wish that I known earlier about a possible connection to vaccines... I would definitely have modified my second child's vaccination schedule more. In this case though, it appears that vaccines were not a trigger. That's also good to know. The more information, the better. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have an organization set up in regards to type 1 diabetes in order to get accurate information about the children being diagnosed. There isn't one as of now. Which is unfortunate. Having said that... I apologized to the new mom.... I think that it's within the realm of possibility that many of you are more upset about what I said than she is... :)

It won't happen again.... but please... RELAX.

18. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Niki,

We have all been where you are at this moment in time. You may find you will go thru a "grieving process" and that's okay. I wish you well, and you sound like an incredible Mom.

Take good care of yourself. You have awesome support, your husband and God.

19. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

niki-we're six months new here and still BFing...so it's possible...and actually I find that BFing seems to be help with lows. So, sadly you're not alone - but we're in this "club you never wanted to join" together. I will forewarn you that there are people on here with very definite opinions and views (which is fine) but it can be a bit harsh...so take it all with a grain of salt knowing that there's good info available but sometimes can be overwhelming with opinions....
    no hard feelings to anybody, just MY opinion.
    So, welcome and hope to help eachother out as we're on this D road together.

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

HI Niki, sorry you had to join us.. I'm so glad that you brought your dd to the ER and they LISTENED!! My daughter was young as well, although not as young as yours.. she was 2.5..

Please understand that there is NOTHING you did or didn't do that caused your daughter's type 1 diabetes.. there are MANY MYTHS around that claim t1 is caused lots of weird things, plastic bottles, not breastfeeding, vaccines, cows milk.. etc.. you name it, its out there.. NON of these things are proven.. PLEASE do not have guilt that you, your husband, or anyone in your family caused this to happen.

There are quite a few people around children that were diagnosed at a young age. Glad you found us so quickly, but sorry you had to.

Pull up a chair and jump right in! :)