- advertisement -

my story..maybe this'll help some of the parents out there(: my Thanksgiving blessing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by _brittanyy_, Nov 27, 2008.

1. _brittanyy_

_brittanyy_ Approved members

i just read somebodys story, and i was hoping to share mine and hopefully my mom comes across this. i also posted this on the general discussion, but somebody told me i could post it here, especially being thanksgiving and all. :)

i went through the, what some people call, rebellion stage not too long ago, right after i changed insulins, which was about 4-5 months ago. i would eat secretly without checking or correcting, or if i did eat secretly, i'd give myself a shot without the correction. i also would tell my mom my sugars were perfect, when they would be the opposite. i dont really know why i did it...i just got fed up with it all. because i felt like my mom would blame me for my highs, and get mad at me because of it, so i wouldnt tell her my real sugar, to keep us from gettin angry with each other. and the eating, i only did that because my dr. suggested i lose about 10 lbs, even tho i'm the perfect size for my body height. so, i'd eat healthy with mom & daddy, then eat what i wanted, what they wouldnt let me have. then, one day, i realized what i was doing to my body. i realized that i dont wanna grow up, and be blind by im 40. or have a leg or two amputated. i wanted to be like a normal, healthy adult. so when my mom found out i was "cheating" again, she told my dr. he told her to talk to me in a normal tone, blah blah, you know lol. so, we sat down that night. it was my daddy, her, and me. and they gave me the same lecture as normal, the one i got about 2x a week maybe, because of my bad habits. and right then, at that moment when i seen the look in my moms eyes about me needing to be healthy, i changed my mind. i told her i wouldnt cheat anymore. i would do what i was supposed to do. i wouldnt tell her false sugars. i've never seen her, in my entire 15 years, seen her face light up as bright as it did when i told her that. and since then, i havent, except for one time. and when i did, it showed, lol, but i admitted to it, right away. i hated keeping all of that from her. at the time, it seemed like the best thing to do. but now i've realized how much better i am when i do it all correct. my a1c from the old insulin was 8 something. my dr. wanted me to be atleast 6.5. i'm at 6.0 since then. :) extreme improvement. i'm doin much better now, and i can tell my mom's a completely different person. in a way, i think it made us stronger, as a mom and daughter. showing us that we can accomplish anything together. i'm very greatful for her. she stuck with me throughout the whole journey of this. and now, on avg., my sugars run from 70-140, thanks to her :) i honestly dont know what i would do if she would have gave up on me, and not stuck with me, and didnt hope for the best. there is no telling where i would be at. or, where she would be at, as a matter of fact. this whole stage i went throught let me see how precious life is, and how easily parts of my healthy body could be completely shut down, because i was lazy, or irresponsible in my teenage years. i also realized how big of a role my mom plays in my diabetes. i knew how big of a role she played, but not nearly this bbig as i know now. its a struggle for me to do it, and i cant imagine what she goes through. she's always worrying about me and my sugars. wondering how the food will affect me. i'm extremely grateful to have such a great mom who really loves me. infact, she just told me something earlier in the living room, that made me get a different outlook on diabetes. she said "diabetes is such a precious disease. God only gave it to the certain special people He knew could overcome it and handle it." it made me think, outta all that has happened, me thinkin i could let diabetes control me like it did, that God really does think i'm special enough to control it and handle it. It made me appreciate everything a lot more. I just wanted to tell my story, hoping that it would help somebody and possibly prevent them from doing what i did. and, it's what i'm thankful for. my mom. for all she's done for me. :) thanks

2. Rebecca King

Rebecca King Approved members

Thank you for sharing your story. I called my son in from outside to have him read it. he said "that sounds just like me!" THANK YOU!. Hope you and your family have a happy turkey day!!:)

3. _brittanyy_

:) you're welcome. thanks for reading. i hope i inspire parents to stick with their kids. i'm very lucky to have a loving mom :) she's signed up here;she actually showed me this, but idk if she logs in anymore. her username is Britt's Mom. you mightve seen her or talked to her, because i no she came here when i first changed insulins. she was stressed to the limit but all the wonderful people here helped her :) thanks, and i hope u and your family have a happy thankgiving as well :)

4. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Thanks for sharing!:)

5. mikesmom58

mikesmom58 Approved members

You seem like a very smart responsible young person. I am very happy things are going well for you and glad you shared your story with us. Hopefully you will inspire other teens to look at what they are doing to themselves and their parents and make changes for the better.

Take care.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Wow! Am I ever glad for you and your family that things are on track now.

You sound like a courageous bunch of people. It takes courage to patiently keep telling your child the same things, knowing that they're not ready to hear you yet but hoping also that they will be someday. And it takes courage to admit you're on the wrong track, and to make a permanent change for the better. Finally, it takes courage to tell your story..

Thank you for giving us all something to think about and be thankful for! :)

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Brittanyy,

Thanks for telling your story! I hope it can help some teens and parents of teens.

So, from what you say, much of the stress was worrying that mom and dad would be upset by 'bad' numbers, right? And the pressure to lose weight and eat better, right?

Those are good things to know b/c I bet many of us parents get upset by high numbers or too low of numbers....and we need to stay calm about all the numbers....they are just numbers. And we need to not stress so much about what our kids eat....just to make sure that we cover what they eat with insulin....that's how a nonD child gets to live, right? Only their pancreases do that insulin thing for them!

Thanks again for your story.:)

8. _brittanyy_

thanks everybody :) it was a hard stage, but now i've realized how much better i feel. i printed out what i wrote, and i gave it to my mom today. i thought it was the perfect chance, being thanksgiving and all. she cried the whole time she read it. i felt proud of myself, knowing how far i've came, and knowing that none of it woulda happened without her :)

wilf- ik you've talked to my mom b4 (Britt's mom) because you had helped her with my lantus when we first started. she was very very stressed because of that lol everybody on here was a great help

but anyways, thanks everybody. my main reason for telling my story was so i could possibly steer other kids away from doing what i did. hopefully, it'll work :)