- advertisement -

My son won't beable to drive.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by BCmom, May 4, 2010.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Was today.

His visual field from side to side was 80 degrees. He needs 120 degrees to be able to drive.

He has colobomas in both eyes.
    In his right eye all structures.

In his left he has a coloboma on the retina.

Before this test the Doctor always assured us he will be able to drive. The doctor seemed surprised by the results. He is sending us for a second opinion. But I think it was only to give my son hope and so he himself didn't have to deal with the disappointment that was beginning to show in my sons eyes.

My son was supposed to get his learners next month....

My son can't imagine living with out a car just now. We live in a very rural area with little public transportation. ...

It has been such a hard spring for him.
    He was hit by a car while running during training. He was bruised but OK. Well he became fearful of running on the roads (who can blame him). He was also knocked out of his kayak during an important trial. He was trying to get around of a corner... couldn't see the boat beside him and he was flipped in by the other paddler.
    No allowance has ever been made for his eyesight issues.

Then a few weeks ago he said he no longer wanted to paddle, and he wanted to focus on his music and DJing and composing. We understood of course... both interests were full time endeavors and he had to choose which to focus on...(in addition to school).

And now this. All his friends are either all ready driving or will be soon. He is so devastated.

2. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

Im sorry to hear. I know how much driving means to teens. :(

3. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

You know, we all joke about "dreading the day our children start driving" b/c of our own worries, but hearing something like this puts it all in perspective.

I'm sorry you and your son have to go through this.

4. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I have colobomas in both of my eyes also. I have terrible vision also, I can't see 5 inches in front of my face without my glasses.
    I have never tried getting my liscense, so I didn't know it could affect getting it.
    I am so sorry to hear about this. It must be difficult to accept :(

5. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Kiersten, you do!

Oh my. It is so rare I didn't think I would meet someone else with it.

Do your eyes look different? Do you have the odd shaped pupils as well? Do you see clearly with glasses?

My son has no vision in his right eye and reduced field of vision in his left. With glasses what vision he has is clear. So he is considered partially sighted not visually impaired.

If you do not have any reduced field of vision and with glasses you have good vision you will be able to drive.

It was a shock for my son because we did not realize that he had a reduced field of vision in the width on his left eye until today. We knew he was missing vision in the upper field of his left eye but not on the sides. So in width he see 100 degrees less than a fully sighted person and 40 degrees less than a person who is half blind.

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'm blind in my right eye from continuous detached retinas, after the 9th surgery I gave up. Personally, without vision in 1 eye, I'm better off not driving, I gave up driving about 8 years ago(and was glad to with the drivers here)when my Peripheral vision went. I gave up my license this year when it came up for renewal. We're close to a part time bus route if I need it.

Think of the money he'll save in a lifetime over not paying for ICBC, gas, and a car! Plus the $75.00 for his license every 5 years! His friends can drive him everywhere! :)

He'll be rich before the rest of us, plus he'll be a famous mucisian in a few years, and he'll have a chaffeur at his beck and call !

Tell him to think of all the positives!

BIG HUGS!

7. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I'm so sorry! I've never heard of this before, and I can't imagine how heartbroken he must be.

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

This is very disappointing for a teenager. I'm so sorry. It's wonderful he has music as an outlet.

9. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Yes, my eyes look like "cat eyes" almost, or key holes is another way to describe it.
    I can see with glasses (most of the time), but without it them my sight is terrible! I have always wondered if my eyes are so bad because of them.
    I don't know if I have any reduced field vision and to my knowledge I do not, but again I dont know.
    I don't know anyone else who has coloboma(s) either!
    I was always told that they were my birthmarks, and then my mom told me what they were. It makes sense, with my vision being so bad and all.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im so very sorry about this:( I can imagine what a blow it is to your son. When my brother Tom was younger he used to have epilepsy. He was able to get his liscense at age 17 and drove until he was 25, he started having alot of seizures then so was unable to drive again. He had brain surgery at age 34 and was able to drive again at age 35. I hope that someday there will be a surgery to correct your sons vision so that he can drive. For now let him know that there are people out there that care for him and are happy to give him a ride where ever he needs to go

11. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Oh I am so sorry, how awful for a teenager to learn that. DX At least he has some site, and has music that can help him get past it.

12. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Oh yes, that is why your vision is so bad!
    How your vision is effected depends on which eye structures the colobomas is "on". Everyone with coloboma is unique and sees differently. So you may not have a reduced field of vision. Only if the field of vision is on the retina, I think.
    Someone with coloboma affecting only the iris can have almost perfect vision.... So it can range from perfect vision (but the signature cats eyes, my son has that too) to completely blind. Do you see an opthamologist?

13. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Coloboma isn't correctable by surgery.

What happened was the eyes never fully formed, so the eye structures are missing.

I am just hoping the second opinion (which won't happen for a few months is better)...

14. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

LOL.
    I know but he is still a teenager, and wondering how he is going to take a girl friend on a date...:rolleyes:

Connie do you take the bus to work everyday?

That's quite a distance!

15. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

No, I don't take the bus, but would if I needed to, Allan and I both work in North Van, I work longer hours(10-11) he only works 8, so he waits for me. But if he weren't around I'd work closer to home and bus it.

Tell him when we were 16 and had dates, we WALKED :) and took buses! :D

16. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Yeah. I know. But times change...

Besides we live in the rural Whonnock and a bus goes by every 2.5 hours, not great service.

And with the new teen driving rules they can't double date (only one friend allowed in a car at a time but that is a good thing!).

He'll have to live with it. No other options.

17. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Sorry to hear that! :(
    I have ben legally blind since birth and my dad is totally blind (totally unrelated, btw!). I know the frustration of not being able to drive very well. :eek: You learn to adjust, it just takes time. But on the up side, in a few years, he will never have to be the "designated driver"! ;)

18. lynn

lynn Approved members

I've been thinking about your son all day. It makes me so sad for him. To be a boy that age and learn that he'll never be able to drive has to rock so many things for him. I'm so sorry.

19. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I like Lynn, have been thinking of your son since you posted this. I didn't reply because I just didn't know what to say...other than just give a HUG.

How is he doing?

20. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thank-you everyone.

He is feeling a bit better today. But he has really been avoiding his friends the last two days. Because all they are talking about is driving... they either have their learners licence already or are about to get it... it is hard for him to accept that he won't be one...

He doesn't want to celebrate his birthday!
    He says what is there to celebrate? To turn 16 and not be able to drive...

I just wish his doctor hadn't assured over and over through the years that he would be able to drive... It wouldn't have been such a shock.