- advertisement -

My son to have Oral Surgery

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JohnMom, May 22, 2008.

1. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

My eight year old son who is a Type1 is going in for Oral Surgery. Just some pre-work for braces. He has two teeth fight for one spot. We are still getting use to the diabetic life since he was only dx 6-07. I am a little nervous of is bs going out of control while he is under the knife. His diabetic team and Oral Surgeon said he will be fine, but hey, I am his mom. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Burlew

Burlew Approved members

We're all like that...if we didn't worry there would be something very wrong. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. ;)

3. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I had oral surgery about a year ago. I wasnt asleep, I just had laughy gas and novicane. Will he be put to sleep? Can you be in the room with him while he is having it? If you can, you check his sugars yourself. Good luck, and I'm sure everything will be fine.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

How long is the surgery expected to be? Is your plan to get him a little high beforehand? Has he had a painkiller before this- do you know what it will or won't do?

Novocain doesn't do anything to my bloodsugar, in case you wondered, but I think it's better to run a little high for medical procedures- better safe than sorry. Also, if you can't eat afterwards, have juice on hand if your usual hypo treat is a solid (I drank my dentists' lemonade).

5. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

How does that work with insulin? If he is being put to sleep of course he cant eat anything beforehand..so do you still give insulin? Or do you give it when he wakes up?
    Im sure he will be fine..and thats what we do best mom...worry :)