- advertisement -

My son "doesn't want the pump anymore"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cassiusmom, Jan 17, 2012.

1. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

I'm in the respect the child's wishes camp. My son is now 12 but has taken pump breaks. At 5 we talked and decided together to go on the pump. He was against it for a while but once he was ready, we went with it. He has taken multiple breaks from his pump and we go unteathered as that works best for him. I would have a discussion about what the change would mean. I know for Hunter that sometimes he just doesn't want the 24/7 in his face reminder.

2. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

My son is also 5 and I would respect his wishes. We were having issues with sites a few weeks ago (since fixed - I loathe the new IV Prep!) and I wanted to go back to MDI for a few weeks. I was tired from having 3 overnight site failures, afraid to go to sleep for fear of another fail and shots just seemed safer at the time. I asked DS and he said NO! He is well aware that his D isn't going away and that no pump = shots. We stuck with it and after getting some Skin Tac and a much-needed endo appt.,seems the issues resolved...and DS knows we will respect his needs. If he does ever ask to go to MDI, we plan on doing that. HE has to live with the decision.