advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY son asked me a question that brought me to tears..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommabear, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

On the way to school this morning, my son asked me a question. As soon as the words left his mouth I was in tears..I tryed to stop but I could not help it..i know that I should not have cryed in front of him, but I did pull myself together quickly. He asked, mom what does it feel like to not have diabetes? :(:( after I pulled myself together, I said It just feels like you do when you don't feel low or high..I don't even know if that was an okay answer. That is the only thing that I could think of at that time..so today was one of those suck days, when you wanna say damn I hate diabetes.On the up side it was a good day of b.g's. Thanks for letting me vent ughhh:(

2. lisac

lisac Approved members

This brought tears to my eyes too. Hadlee was dx'd at 20 months, so she can't remember not being diabetic. I can just hear her asking me this in the future.:( All the crap they have to go thru...it's just not fair:(
    Sending you ((((hugs))))

3. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Its almost as hard to remember the days without the disease.. Daniel goes back to those "younger" days without the disease...no worries, no shots....he says life was better and easier...That too brings tears to my eyes...either way its a tough road to travel....I'm just grateful something exists to keep our children alive and healthy...and I remind him of the long life ahead of happiness that lies in front of him..

4. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Wish there was a bear hug icon! Sorry, that had to really catch your heart. I think your answer was fine. Nikaela has asked me lots of questions about what it was like when I had gestational diabetes (I had it with both girls and was borderline with my son.) She knows that it increases my chances of developing diabetes, and she confided once, hoping she didn't sound too horrible for it, that she wished I would become diabetic so that it would at least be something we could share. As much as these comments evoke tears and tug on our heart strings, it feels like they're just really trying to process through their feelings about having diabetes in a good way.

Oh, and the tears - I know we don't want to be basket cases in front of our kids, or make them feel like they should feel sad about being diabetic, but tears are a real part of life and symbolize real emotions that sometimes we just don't have words for. Last year when I went back to work, my fifth graders had so many questions about why I was gone, worries about things they heard whispered in the hall by other teachers, and missed having their regular teacher. When we talked about what happened with dd I was open and honest, and yes, had a few tears run down my cheek.

You know what, so did some of my students, just briefly when they shared that they were afraid I'd never come back, or when another shared that she overheard a teacher say my daughter might die (Niko's acidosis from DKA was, they told us, the worst they'd seen on diagnosis, and they told us the first 12 hours were critical in terms of her coming out of the coma, or not...) As parents, and as teachers, we have a good barometer for what's appropriate and when to turn things around, gently. Being open enough to shed a tear or two actually reassured my students then. It sounds like you did just that with your son today. If anything, your tears spoke volumes of your love for him.

5. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

A sad moment. A good answer.

6. spamid

spamid Approved members

I think your answer was fine, and cried when I read your son's question too. It is unfair.

7. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I think you answered it the best way you can.

8. mommabear

Thank you all.. I do love the support here from people who understand..:cwds:

9. MyTMax08

MyTMax08 Approved members

Thinking about you! I'd fall apart too :( Hope you have a great rest of the day :)

10. mommabear

Thank you..

11. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

hugs! It's ok to cry. You answered perfectly.

12. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Jared was 5 when he was Dx as well so he doesn't really remember being without diabetes either. I remember him asking when he got done with that first bottle of insulin if he would be done with shots and having to tell him no that it was going to be until there was a cure. Had a hard time holding back the tears in front of him that day. Crying now just thinking back to that moment.

13. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I think that you did a great job in answering his question. David was dx at 6 1/2 yrs old so he remembers the days without having Diabetes. About a year after his diagnosis, he turned to me out of the blue one morning while getting ready for school and asked me if they would ever find a cure... I had to pretend to drop something on the floor so so he wouldn't see me crying. Now sitting here reading about your son I'm crying all over again. :eek:. Those questions just break my heart.

14. mommabear

Sorry guys I did not mean to make you all cry too..But I do have to say that it is nice that you all understand..Thank you so much..I just know that there are times that it is so so hard When they ask those kind of questions..:(

15. lastatum

lastatum Approved members

Every so often, when I read the blogs I am suscribed to, Six Until Me and The Princess and the Pump, I come across things that will copy and paste onto a continuous sheet of inspiration to help me know that my child will have a happy, filled with what every other child does, life. Here are some of those things I look back on when moments like this come up or when I just need some hope that it will all be okay.........

The Princess and the Pump
    But I get the memories.
    And I get the satisfaction that Diabetes did not win.
    It did not keep my son from being a kid.
    And I get the pleasure of knowing that I am teaching him how to LIVE with diabetes.
    How to do whatever it takes.
    How he can be just like everyone else.

Yeah... I'm still jealous at times.
    But I know that my life and the life of my family is just different from "everybody else".
    Not better.
    Not worse.
    Just different.

And I keep reminding myself of this...

From Six Until Me ("Me" is Diabetes)
    But instead, I've made her strong. I've made her fearless. And I've mader her appreciate everything she has, everything she fights for. She hasn't let me make her choices. She refuses to let me own her. She controls me. When she is in her last moments, whether sixty years from now or today, she will know , with certainty, that she has LIVED. REALLY LIVED!!