- advertisement -

My Smelly Little Boy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 4Loves, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 4Loves

4Loves Approved members

I have no idea if this is diabetes related or not...

Noah is only 7 so it seems a little early to have BO. I started noticing it in August. Since the weather has been so cold, there has not been as much opportunity for sweating, but he still occasionally stinks.

What's up? Is it related to the insulin?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question. It's been bugging me for a long time.:eek:

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't know if it's related or not, but, Seth is the youngest and the first to get BO by a long shot.:confused:

3. Rick_L

Rick_L Approved members

Our son also has BO pretty bad. I just figured it was due to all the sweating. It seems he sweats more than other kids?

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We noticed this with Lia a couple of years ago. I don't remember if it was before or after dx but it was around that time.

She definitely needs to wear deoderant in the warmer months.

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I started Mia on deodorant last year, right after her 6th birthday! We are using a hypoallergenic, no fragrance, no nothing deodorant from the healthfood store, and it works great! I was also concerned if this was hormonal and mentioned it to our CDE, so we ran a wrist xray on her and she indeed tracks about a year and a half ahead of her biological clock! If you are concerned, I'd mention it at the next endo check.

6. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

My non D son is 8 and we started him using deodorant a few months ago. My other non D son started when he was 10.

Jessi, my D kid, is 6 but so far she doesnt stink.

7. allisa

allisa Approved members

I posted this SAME QUESTION a lllooonnnngggg time ago !!

My son is 10 and around the age of 7-8, I , too noticed strong BO.....his older brother who is entering teens barely even uses deodearnt.....doesn't have the need and you would think he is the one who SHOULD need it !! LOL

so, yes...my 10 year old uses deoderant on a regluar basis and his 14 year old brother can do football practice for 3 hours and smell like a lily.....go figure.....

Edited to add:

Look.....it was MY VERY FIRST POST ( 01/13/06)......this dying question that I had about BO is what brought me to this board !! LOL

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=167

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  8. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

My daughter was dx at 9.5 years old. She started needing deodoarant a few months later. Then at 10 years old the skin problems started. I had flawless skin all my life - never dealt with acne. My DH did but not till mid teens. I think 10 is way too young for a little acne to crop up. Asked two endos and they tell me it's totally stress related but I've asked 4 parents with D kids and all said thier children had no skin problems until after dx. So I do think these things are related.

9. julymoon99

julymoon99 Approved members

Wow, DD has developed BO as well and uses deodorant. She is almost 7.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I wanted to point out that (not to alarm people) but there are a lot of other endocrine related issues that could also be at play - so my thinking is that if you're noticing signs of early puberty you should definitely mention it to your endo. Having actual BO at the age of 6 would be alarming to me.

Just a thought.

11. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

well our shannon has had BO before her diagnosis. she needs to use deodorant. i am just thinking that she will just start puberty early. she is my only child who had BO at an early age, and cut her baby teeth at an early age. and lost alot of her baby teeth early, getting her adult teeth. she also has some other signs. but will not mention because she will probably not like it if i say it. she is 8 and will e 9 in april.

12. Kristalfrissy

Kristalfrissy Approved members

My husband and I noticed this same thing on our 5 yr old!! His feet always stink but we noticed stong BO a couple of times since diagnosis. He had been playing video games though and we didn't know if it was diabetes related or just having his arms glued to his sides while holding the controller for so long. Interesting though that someone mentioned teeth--because he also lost his two bottom teeth about a year ago and I took him to the dentist cause I thought it was way too early and after several xrays-dentist said that Jaden was a couple years ahead schedule!

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Teeth, and BO - we're right there too! Jayden has lost more baby teeth than my almost 12 year old son, and she's 9. And definitely the BO...I always chalked it up to gymnastics, but maybe not? How about tooth decay...any connection there between pre-diagnosed diabetes, or pre-diabetes, or diabetes, and terrible teeth? My daughter has more fillings in her mouth than the rest of us put together...she has really soft teeth. Makes me a little crazy when I have to give her sugar in the middle of the night...

14. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

My 9 year old DD started showing signs of BO and other pre-puberty signs at the age of 4:eek: we had her tested and she did have bones 3-4 years older than her age. when she got diagnosed they took another look at all of that pre puberty issues and decided that she needed to go on a monthly injection of LUPRON to slow things down and let her grow to her maximum height. Her endo was worried that she would have issues with driving and reaching the peadles and seeing over the steering wheel. Her growth plates where already closing so I do believe that this and D also go along with each other. The Lupron is a muscle injection and is hugh needle but she has adjusted to getting it every 28 days and of course bribery goes a long way with her:D

15. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Yeah, I hope Mia doesn't have to go down that route... We currently do wrist-xrays and hormone tests every 6-12 months as Mia too tracks about a year and a half ahead of her time...:(

16. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

the way that is written just struck my funny bone!! lol

17. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We started Carson on deoderant last summer. It was BAD!!! We also use deoderant from a health food store -- organic, no icky chemicals, etc. We did talk to the doctor about it and he did a thorough check of early puberty signs and said he was fine. The baby teeth thing is very interesting -- he cut them all VERY early and has lost 9 already (he's 7 1/2).

18. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I have a 12 year old non-D boy who has been wearing deoderant for at least 4 years now.

19. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I'm 18 and I've never had a cavity :D